Thursday, May 26, 2011

IVF - Day 38, Cycle Day 13 (egg retrieval)

Today was the big day!!

Mike & I woke up super early (at about 5:30am) and got ready to make the drive to Tempe.  It really isn't that far, but 40 minutes seems far when you'd rather be sleeping.


We arrived at Dr. B's office a few minutes early (I know...don't have a heart attack) and checked in to the out-patient surgery center attached to the clinic.  They quickly took me back and started prepping me for the procedure.

Danielle was the nurse who helped me today...she either didn't think we were funny...or didn't know if it was appropriate to laugh with us.  We have tried to make this whole situation as stress free as we can...and our odd sense of humor and our craving to be realists with as little drama as possible can throw people off.  Laugh or cry, right?  We choose to laugh...and if it takes making sarcastic jokes at the wrong times then sobeit.


After I got changed, we went over a bunch of paperwork...mostly just stuff about what I can and can't do, the meds, the actual procedure...all the dumb stuff you go over when having an out-patient surgery. :)

Dr. B came back to talk to us...we wish she was going to be our OB after all this.  We truly love her.  I think she is amazing...and so sweet to us.  She told us everything looked great and went over a few things about our follicles with us.  We took a quick picture and she was off to prep herself for the procedure. 


As she was walking away, Mike asked her to watch and see if I kick my leg while I am knocked out.  He says I kick my leg all night...every night.  So he was curious if I would kick while under anesthesia.  Dr. B laughed and said she would watch for it.  She said she's never been kicked or peed on...so she was interested to see what my legs would do. 

When I got taken back, Mike was taken to take care of his...um...business.  I was out cold pretty quickly and in recovery before I knew what happened.  I don't remember Dr. B coming to talk to me, but she spoke to Mike and let him know she was able to retrieve 16 eggs.  We were both pleased with that number.  We know not all of the will make it, but we are happy to be starting with a high number.  It did make me relax a teensy bit to hear the number 16.


Dr. B was also happy to let Mike know I did kick my leg...my right leg.  Damn.  One of the nurses told me he thought I was waking up because I started kicking my leg.  Damn again. We got a good laugh out of it...and I guess I'm a leg kicker.  Sorry, Babe.

Mike loaded me up into the car and drove me home.  I slept the entire way...and then for many hours after I crawled back into my comfy bed.

11 comments:

n8'swife said...

I'm so happy things went well today. I continue to keep you and Mike in my thoughts and prayers throughout all of this!

Mama said...

Praying for you, Mike, and those 16 miracles tonight! xoxo

The Willeyes said...

Can't wait to keep hearing more and more good news :)

Happy thoughts and more and more prayers!!! Love ya

Diana said...

Sending happy thoughts your way :) Hope all goes well.

St Elsewhere said...

16 is a beautiful number. I hope you have great fertilization report, a beautiful transfer and a gorgeous BFP from this. Take Care and be fantastic.

St Elsewhere said...

16 is a beautiful number. I hope you have great fertilization report, a beautiful transfer and a gorgeous BFP from this. Take Care and be fantastic.

St Elsewhere said...

Jeez, my connection was lost and I refreshed and hence the double comments! Just taking as good wishes x 2!

Kathleen said...

Hi! Glad you grabbed the letter off my blog about how to get your friends and family to talk to their senators. I'm just reading a bit on your blog. Best wishes in your IVF cycle! Congrats on the great retrieval. Can't wait to hear about your fert. report.

Kathleen said...

Oops! i thought I was logged in as Tippy, but I guess not. Anyways - Kathleen = Tippy :-)

Anonymous said...

I'm glad everything went well with your ER! Sixteen is a great number. :)
The part about your leg kicking made me laugh. I'm totally the same way, my partner gets frequent kicks to the back. Haha!
Happy ICLW!

Anonymous said...

thanks for being so open and positive about your journey. it's amazing to read!