In about 10 days we (finally) having the egg retrieval procedure...I can't wait. I feel really impatient, but I have been waiting my entire life, so I guess it's not really that impatient.
After I injected myself this morning, we headed out for a day at Alcatraz and to spend some time at he Warf.
I have always wanted to go to Alcatraz, but I've never made it there until now. I was pretty excited...Richelle wasn't as excited because she did the Alcatraz thing last summer.
The sign you see as you get off the boat...the "Indian" writing is from when a group of Native Americans moved to Alcatraz after the penitentry was closed down...long story.
The water tower...
The cell house...it was never filled to capacity. "The average number of prisoners was 260, and the maximum was 302. There were 336 remodeled cells available." ~ Golden Gate National Parks Conservancy
Where the new guys were issued their new stuff...
More issued stuff...
We only spent about three hours on the island before I was ready to head back and find some food. I bet I got about 1/2 way through everything there is to see, but I'm sure I will be back to see the rest, so it's all good. What I did learn was very interesting...I highly recommend visiting this piece of American history.
A complete cell with everything an inmate was issued...
At work, we refer to the row I sit on as "C Block"...so this was fitting.
San Fran in the distance...
A view of the city...
When we were back at the dock, we headed for the Boudin Bakery so I could feast on fresh sourdough bread bowls with clam chowder. It was warm and delicious!! I remember my dad's best friend (since HS), Aksel, always bringing and/or sending my dad fresh bread from this place. When I was a kid, I didn't care for it...now I can't get enough of it. (Or any bread...for that matter.)
The weather was typical Bay weather...warm and sunny, then windy and COLD...and then the cycle starts over. I wore my heavy coat and a scarf all day. I also wore my gloves when I thought I could get away with it...not to mention the long sleeved shirt and lighter jacket I have on underneath my heavy coat. haha...I am such a Phoenix girl.
We ate as much food as we could shovel in and then walked around Pier 39. I hadn't been to the Fisherman's Warf since my Aunt Janice died...and that was forever ago. I had my first shrimp cocktail with my mom on that trip, and I have loved that treat ever since. I hadn't even been to downtown San Fran since my cousin Rebecca got married in November 2000. Needless to say, it was fun to come back...and now I can't wait to come back again with Mike.
We got our fill of the Warf area, so we drove to Lombard Street...that was cool.
Lomard Street in San Fra i's the world's "crookedest street"
Next, we headed towards the Golden Gate Bridge...stopped for a photo or two and then drove up to some outlets. I was bored, but Richelle got a couple items...then we headed towards the hotel via the Bay Bridge (for a second trip across it).
It was SOO windy!! :)
We pulled into In-N-Out for a late dinner and then quickly fell asleep after a long day filled with a lot of walking.

1 comment:
i love alcatraz!!!! i think is so interesting!
Post a Comment