Friday, August 17, 2012

ISR: Week 1

Blip started his Infant Swimming Resource (ISR) classes this week.  He had to be six months old to begin...so he started the Monday after his six month birthday.


Day 1 was pretty easy...at least on us.  Blip and Jen just spent the session time getting use to each other.  Nothing major.  Blip already loved the water and had done lots of back floating with Mike at the Baby Splash class.  This back floating is different, but at least he was happy to be in the water.


Day 2 was more of the same....just working on learning to float. By Day 3 Blip was able to float for a few seconds on his own, but still needs lots and lots of practice.  On Day 4 Jen started rolling him...pretty much rolling him from his back all the way around, under the water back to his back.  He did okay...and so did I.



[I should have gotten one more picture to show them after he was rolled.  That's what she is doing here....rolling him from back to back.  He is learning to roll himself to his back in order to back float and essentially rescue himself.]

Mike came for the first and second day, but he will only come on Mondays from now on.  And he'll come for the fully dressed stuff too, I'm sure.


Day 5 was more of the back floating and rolling.  Blip started making little improvements.  I was very encouraged by his progress.



Throughout the week we have to keep track of pretty much everything Blip does.  It's called a "BUDS Record Sheet"...Bowel, Urination, Diet & Sleep.  It's pretty easy to keep up on, but we have everyone enlisted to help.  Mike, Lori, Richelle, me....pretty much whoever has the baby has to help.  The boy is amazing, and he sleeps a lot.  Most of his sheet is sleeping. I love him. 


He goes through 6-8 diapers in 24 hours...and he has cut back a little bit on his formula intake, but he has increased his solid food intake.  Mike is now feeding Blip breakfast and a bottle....then another 4 oz before his first nap.  In the mornings he usually has fruit of some variety...and he has his veggies at night for dinner.


Because of swim, Lori has been feeding him his solids before I pick him up....that really helped.  So when we get home at 6:20-ish from swim we can hang out and do whatever....there isn't such a rush to get dinner in, plus a bottle, plus playing together, getting ready for bed, etc.  I like feeding him dinner, so hopefully this will just be for the next five weeks.


I am excited about this class.  I was first introduced to it a few years ago...before we were married, I think.  As soon as I saw the video and did some reading, I knew I wanted my children to have this skill.  It's a little pricey, but I promised myself no matter what I would figure out a way.


It is definitely hard to watch Blip struggle to learn.  I'm sure this is the first of many struggles I will have to stand by and watch him endure.  I am so proud of how quickly he is picking these skills up.  He is usually his calm self in the water.  He does fuss a little bit, but hey...who wouldn't?  It is also very interesting to see that at six months old...he has the instinct to survive.  He knows he does NOT want his face/whole body under water.  He wants to float and keep his face up.  It's amazing.


I will post all the videos at once after Blip graduates.  That way his progression can be seen, along with the end result.

No comments: