I drove Mike to the Piper Surgery Center on Tuesday for his 2pm surgery. We arrived just before 12pm, and Mike checked in. Mike was finally taken back...and we waited for what seemed like forever before we were allowed back to see him.
I was starving by this point, but figured Mike's surgery would start close to on-time...and then I could get something to eat. I sat next to Mike's bed as we made small talk with his parents. We all waited for the doctor to finally be ready. The nurse said the doc was running behind...so we all waited.
Finally, one of the nurses came back to talk to Mike. After a while longer...Matt, the PA, Dr. C and the Anesthesiologist made their way back to talk to us. Dr. C wrote on Mike's left shoulder...so the correct one would be operated on.
We said our goodbyes and left Mike with the anesthesiologist and the rest of the medical team. Mike was given a pain block...a lot like an epidural for Mike's shoulder. The pain block was supposed to last for up to 36 hours, but unfortunately for Mike...he had break through pain as soon as he was awake.
We waited for Dr. C to come let us know the surgery went well and was completed....then we went to grab something to eat. The doctor said he was able to repair Mike's labrum. From what we talked about with Dr. C in his office prior to the surgery, and what he told us after the surgery...Mike's labrum was worse than he expected. It was frayed and if frayed too much, it would not have been repairable. Luckily, it still was. It was repaired with three anchors. He also cleaned up the cyst and fixed a bone spur.
We returned to the surgery center after we ate. We only waited a short time before a nurse came out to tell me where to drive my car to pick up Mike on the side of the building. I parked and walked in to the recovery area. Mike was sitting in a recliner with his sling on, his shorts on....but no shirt. They gave Mike a hospital gown and went over several discharge instructions with me. Dr. C also did this after the surgery, but I was happy for another round of reminders.
We loaded Mike into the car and headed home. Mike's parents dropped off his prescriptions, while I took my nauseas patient straight home. It took some time, but we got Mike settled. Mike's dad ran out to grab the meds, ice for the machine and Mike's Blizzard request.
After a while, our borrowed cold therapy machine wasn't working, so Mike's dad ran out to get frozen peas until I could get a working machine.
Mike's parents said goodnight...and left me with Mike. I stood there for a few moments trying to catch my breath and figure out what to do. I was exhausted by the time Mike was taken into surgery, so by the time he was settled...I was beyond done. Too many hours in clothes on my belly...too many hours sitting up straight in a chair...too many times getting up and down off the floor trying to get the stupid ice machine to work...just too much of the entire day.
I was nervous to leave Mike's side because the pain block not only numbed Mike's shoulder, but also his throat. His voice was very scratchy...which, at first, I assumed was from the breathing tube used during the surgery. The nurses told me Mike's voice was scratchy because his entire throat (voice box included) was numb. They told me most patients choke on ice and/or water while the throat is numb. That didn't make me feel very comfortable...since the block can last up to 36 hours, but the nurses reassured me that Mike hadn't choked at all since waking up. I was still nervous. Not really the way I want to lose him...
I kissed his forehead and told him I was going to quickly shower, get my pj's on and bring down stuff to sleep on the couch. I a) didn't want to sleep so far away from him if I slept in our room and b) I can only go up and down the stairs a few times a day, so getting up every fours hours to feed Mike and get him his pain pills was out of the question if I wasn't downstairs.
I got ready for bed, made sure Mike was as comfortable as possible and then I set my alarm for his next pain pills. I decided I should set the one after that too...since it would still be night time. I was glad I did...I actually did fall asleep for a time, so I am thankful I didn't sleep through Mike's needs. I guess this is a tiny bit of preparation for the feeding we'll be doing in a few months throughout the night.
I think I will enjoy nursing my baby boy much more than I enjoyed spoon feeding Mike pudding at 4am. Although I didn't mind feeding Mike...I am happy I was able to keep him comfortable. I love him so much...and it is so hard to see him hurting.
After the second set of pain pills last night, I set my alarm for the next set and fell back asleep. I woke up, fed Mike and got him his pills. I "quickly" got myself together and headed out the door for my OB appointment. I hated to leave him, but had no choice. I reassured him I'd be back before his meds were due...
I finished up with my OB and then headed to TOCA to pick up the new ice machine (cold therapy unit) I called and asked for. I had to pay $250 up front...with the hope our insurance company will pay a portion. If they do...we will be reimbursed. I'm not holding my breath. Mike was not happy that I spent the money on the machine, but I was not happy that he was hurting. I'm sure I could have asked around and borrowed another machine, but I didn't want to wait any longer to try and help Mike get some comfort.
I brought the thing home and did my best to wrap Mike's shoulder without hurting him. I set the machine up and was happy that it worked...the machine works. Not sure if it is working on Mike's pain.
A friend of ours stopped by to check on us. Ron is an old friend of Mike's. He brought two meals from Costco for us...what a huge blessing. It was so nice to have dinner without thinking about it. We had chicken Alfredo tonight...with some corn and garlic bread I had in the freezer.
While Ron was here, Mike asked him to carry one of our borrowed recliners upstairs. Mike wants me to sleep in the bed, but I told him I wasn't leaving him alone downstairs. So he had his chair moved upstairs. We still have our borrowed recliner from Richelle downstairs, so that's Mike's home downstairs for now.
Mike's dad stopped over to see if we needed anything too...and he's coming back tomorrow to help. I may not be able to move by tomorrow, so it will be nice to have him here.
My biggest concern with sleeping upstairs...I still have to feed Mike before he can take his pills. My preferred middle-of-the-night-pre-pain-pill food is pudding...so it needs to be in the fridge. Last night I also fed him half a toasted bagel with cream cheese....thinking he needed a little more than pudding. And then I went with pieces of a muffin (that seemed dry, so no more pieces of that).
None of this entire pain in the ass issue has caused me the stress this did. Now his chair is upstairs, but we don't have a fridge upstairs. How can I get someone to buy a small fridge TODAY for tonight? I can't go up and down the stairs that much. OMG I was starting to wonder what the heck I was gonna do. Maybe grab a pudding and a bowl of ice? Geez....what a stupid dilemma to even have.
I called Richelle for some advice on what I should do/feed Mike without using the stairs too many times. I just know my body will not tolerate much more abuse. This has all caused quite a bot of pain...and I swear if I could order a new pelvic bone...I would pay any amount.
Richelle told me she had used Vanilla Wafers before as her middle-of-the-night-pre-pain-medicine food. That sounded like a great idea...except we were clean out of wafers. Damn.
My bestie ran to the grocery store for us. I told her I would go, but my body just screamed, "NO!" PLus, we NEEDED...well...a few snacks...and bread. She is the best...and Derek helped too. When she got here with our...um....food (including wafers and ice cream and some cookies) she also helped me empty and refill Mike's ice machine. That was another thing my body just wouldn't allow me to do. I started to do it, but just couldn't. I was so glad she was there.
Overall, Mike has been very uncomfortable. We even doubled up his last dose of pain killers. I wanted to contact the doctor about the pain meds earlier, but Mike wanted to see if the ice machine helped before we called and asked for different pain meds. I think tomorrow I will be calling...I doubt double doses is recommended. After the one double dose, I only gave him the regular dose. I decided we'd double up every other dose if Mike thought he needed it. Hopefully his pain won't continue at this level.
It's also funny to see how "high" Mike is on these meds. His pupils are so tiny...it's like looking at someone on the street that we deal with...except Mike doesn't smell bad AND he didn't steal anything to get his pills.
I am so thankful Mike was able to have his shoulder repaired. He had what's called a SLAP tear repaired. I know this is awful for him, but down the road...this is the best thing for him. He loves to work out, so this will enable him to continue to do so. I can't imagine his physical pain right now...and I know physical therapy won't be a picnic either. I hope he feels less pain quickly...and I hope he is back to being himself when the baby gets here.
TWINS SENIOR YEAR HOMECOMING PARADE!
3 weeks ago

2 comments:
So sorry this has been so hard. I wish I was there to help. Love and prayers for you both.
That sucks...I've been thinking of you both and am glad that you have support even though I've taken your parents this week! I'd rather have cancer by the sounds of it! Get well soon!
Mic
Post a Comment