Sunday, October 9, 2011

Ch-Ch-Changes

Lots has changed in my life since I got pregnant.  I knew there would be changes, but I had no idea they'd come so quickly...or so many forms.


I have never loved food so much.  I can't get enough of it...whatever it is that I'm craving at the moment.  Over the last 10+ years, I have been very careful with my diet.  I watch what I eat...but more importantly, my portion control is spot on.  I figured that I could eat what I wanted...as long as it was well under the amounts served.  I cut out popcorn at the movies, if we went for donuts I would only eat one, I never at an entire meal in one sitting, etc.  That, with my workouts, must have worked because I remained a size six for many, many years.  My thyroid issues tossed my weight through the ringer, but that's a different topic.


On Friday, Regina brought us several pre-made meals to stick in the freezer and eat as we need.  I can't tell you how much that small thoughtful act has helped us.  I never thought having food in the fridge, already made into meals would mean so much, but it truly has been a huge help.


In the pantry we have cookies now...and ice cream in the freezer too.  I have had to swallow more fast food over the last 5 months than in my entire life before this.  Standing to cook is a no no, so sadly, it is what it is.  I have made many meals sitting at the island in the kitchen.  There I can sit and cut vegetables and put things together while sitting on a stool.  This at least makes me feel more human...and more in control of my life.


Also, I have a "thing" about my undergarments matching...the color must always match.  I don't know what my problem is with this, but I have one.  (And I hate the word "panties".  Hate.)  I never buy pretty, colorful bras or undies...unless they match.  And even then, why bother with one of each?  Such a waste of money.


I have worn the same brand and color of bra and undies for as long as I can remember.  I did switch to a brand from Nordstrom a few years ago because Victoria's Secret makes such limited sizes, but other than that...nude or black is all you'll find in my drawer or on my body.  And no matter what...they match.  If I change one...the other gets changed too. 


Until I got pregnant.


Now, I struggle to find anything in my drawer that even fits.  At first, all the bottoms fit, but the tops- wow.  My boobs got HUGE...and fast.  I bought a black bra at Kohl's in the beginning, but it didn't last for long.  With that bra, I was the prefect candidate for Oprah's bra intervention. I made it work for as long as possible, but when the bra, coupled with a camisole (with a "shelf bra"), couldn't contain these girls...I had to move on to something new.


I have no problems spending good money on a good bra, but I don't see the point in spending $80 on a bra that may or may not fit in a month...or a week.  So I found one at Nordstrom Rack for $15...in a size I couldn't believe I was purchasing.  What a shocker that was to my pre-pregnancy, much smaller breasted brain.  Even worse...the one I found was the only one the size I "needed"...and it was blue.  Aqua blue.


Ugh.


I reluctantly made the purchase...after I searched every rack looking for some matching bottoms.  There were none.  Damn.  I knew I was doomed to be mis-matched for the next several months.  Even worse, the bra is so big I can barely stand to wear it.  I could probably wear it as a blue hat if I wanted to.  And since I leave the house as little as possible, I usually end up in a sports bra most days...and nothing matches that look.


Poor Mike. 


Since I don't actually get dressed 9 out of 10 days, I have been living in what we affectionately call my "comfy pants".  They are just that...soft, cotton, pajama pants with no elastic in the waist.  I'm pretty sure I may have died or become a nudist without these gems.  I bought a couple pairs at Target...and then Richelle had some older ones she gave me.  I love them...they are the comfortable and don't hurt my expanding belly.  Most clothes seem to anger the large ovaries I'm carrying around, so these pants have literally saved my life (or kept me from doing something drastic).


I wear very little make-up anymore...if any at all.  I only wash my hair once a week...maybe twice if something comes up worth the standing and blow drying my messy mane of hair.  I have to get a pedicure once a month...since I can't reach my toes to do my own (which I prefer) anymore.  I still lather my body in lotion every morning, but on my belly I use one with coco-butter instead of my "love spell".  I have also been forced to wean myself from my Victoria's Secret body wash addiction.  I have used ONLY V.S. Love Spell body wash for about 1/2 my life.  


I have always bought it when it's on sale, but last time I went to make a purchase, I just couldn't do it.  It was more expensive than it used to be...and I just couldn't bring myself to spend the money. (Thanks a lot, Dave Ramsey.)  When I ran out of my stash, I had to move on to the only non-man smelling soap we had in the house...the Target brand, Dove wannabe I originally bought for Raelynn.  So that's my new soap...and as soon as I'm out of the shower and dry, I lather myself in Love Spell lotion and then spray myself with more of the same smell.


It's almost the same.


Almost.


Life is definitely different around here...especially life on bed rest, but I have no regrets.  I wish pregnancy was a more "normal" experience, but I am happy to be pregnant at all.  I have read about so many couples with infertility issues like ours and they are never able to conceive.  I try to remind myself how blessed we are when times are tough...or when I see my blue bra...or when my muscles ache and I want to go running, but know I can't for many more months.  


Life is good.  And we are blessed.  Changes are hard to accept, but they make life interesting.

2 comments:

Kevin said...

That's so weird, you just described my day-to-day life exactly. Well, except for the bra part...

Keep on truckin' girlfriend. ;)

Brittany said...

Haha your writings and posts crack me up! I had to laugh out loud a few times. These are the little inconvieniences about pregnancy, but the little blessings as well. You seem to be taking it all gracefully & in stride. :)