Sunday, April 24, 2011

IVF - Day 6

Since there is nothing new to report ref: our cycle, but I am trying my best to document each day, so I thought I would add a "page" to my blog and post an article I found a few days ago.  I found it on another blog and thought it was worth the read.

Especially because...

I will literally have a heart attack and die if one more person tells me to "just relax and it will happen"....with or without their 5 kids in tow.

OR

if I have to hear, "just stop trying"

OR

something in the family of how fun it is to try

OR

that practice makes perfect...

OR

If I have to sit through another story about how so and so tried EVERYTHING and then they quit trying and *BAM* - they got pregnant on their own.  My favorite part of those stories is the follow up, "It could happen to you too!"

Yes, it could.  I'm sure it absolutely could happen to us too.  And wouldn't it be great if it did?  After spending years researching, hoping, praying, debating, being poked and prodded...after financing our chance.  It would just be peachy if something miraculous happened and the anguish we have suffered would be no longer.

I'm sure the low probability for a miracle baby after IVF is similar for couples who adopt or have our issues.  I'm not talking about couples with issues that are unexplained or if it's the woman's issue of some variety.  Research shows a lot of women get pregnant (however they do so) and then the pregnancy does kind of a re-set to their body.  Maybe the chances get better if that's the case.

That's not our case.  We are not viewing the glass half emtpy.  We are realists.  We know what our issues are (we each get some of the "blame") and we have accepted where we are.  There is always hope of a miracle, but we are at peace that the birds and the bees don't work the same for us as they do for 90% of the world.

I have added a "page" to my blog with an article I found titled "Infertility Etiquette". 

I know we have chosen to speak very openly about our situation.  That doesn't mean we need anything more than love and support.  We honestly don't need to hear about everyone that someone may have possibly heard a rumor about who had an infertility "problem" that was cured by a vacation.  We also don't want you to pretend like we don't have an actual problem.  This isn't something we have created ourselves...and it isn't something we would wish on anyone.

Infertility is painful.  It isn't something we think is cool.  It's something you can't understand unless you've personally suffered because of it.  And infertility doesn't mean it took you three months to get pregnant after you have a baby that you conceived two days after throwing your BCP in the garbage.

If our story can help someone else, then putting it all out there will have been worth it.  We also want our children to know how truly loved they were before they were with us on this Earth.  This blog documents our family's experiences.  We print this blog into a book every year to keep as our family journal.

We aren't looking for sympathy.  We aren't looking to be ignored.  We aren't looking for anything.  We want to be treated like normal, but please keep in mind we are dealing with something...a grief of sorts.  It's hard to explain.

6 comments:

Kevin said...

That's cool that you print your your blog at the end of the year. I would never have thought of doing that. Course I'd only have like to pages haha.

Kevin said...

*TWO pages. Yeesh.

The LaLa said...

I think you explain it very well, for something that's so hard to explain. I cannot answer for everyone, but it's hard to know what is appropriate and kind to say. Hence, the inappropriate and awkward comments, and sometimes downright rude ones. I just send you support and best wishes. I was just thinking your mom would be proud of your courage. Your apple doesn't fall far from her tree. Hugs! (This is Donna C., by the way)

Carol said...

i LOVE the etiquette page - that is freaking awesome. i think people should print that off and carry it in their back pocket and then when some moron says something ridiculous, you could just hand them the paper and walk away :)

Krista said...

Randi,

I'm a friend of Ryan and Michelle's (I think I met you when we came out to Emily's blessing) and when I saw your blog title on their sidebar I was intrigued and hopped over to read. I am so sorry that you are going through infertility and have to do IVF. We have gone through it as well and are getting ready to do it again around the same time as you. I just wanted to let you know if you ever want to "talk" or just vent to someone who has been and is going through it please know that you can e-mail me at robkrista@msn.com.

Swicks said...

randi- thank you for sharing your experience. i'm really grateful to read someone else's experience in the same category. it helps give me perspective- like i'm not the only one. if you're only touching one person... it might be me! thanks