Thursday, January 20, 2011

What Matters Most

I read a portion of a talk given by President Uchtdorf on a blog I frequent(ly stalk).  I always enjoy listening to him speak, and reading this blurb tonight was a nice reminder.


He says,

"My dear brothers and sisters, we would do well to slow down a little, proceed at the optimum speed for our circumstances, focus on the significant, lift up our eyes, and truly see the things that matter most. Let us be mindful of the foundational precepts our Heavenly Father has given to His children that will establish the basis of a rich and fruitful mortal life with promises of eternal happiness. They will teach us to do “all these things … in wisdom and order; for it is not requisite that [we] should run faster than [we have] strength. [But] it is expedient that [we] should be diligent, [and] thereby … win the prize."

I need to do a better job at focusing on the things that matter most.

Funny enough, what Angie wrote on her blog is (almost exactly) what I want to say (minus any talk about how much I love my kids or eating celery with them...even tho I would love to do that with my own kids so very much).

Angie wrote,

"a lot of times my mind is everywhere with plans, ideas, thoughts.

...today what mattered most was staying home.

in my comfy, and equally unattractive [Mossimo Yoga] pants.

resting up [because I have been under the weather...probably because I never slow down].

watching shows & reading books, with [my homemade chicken noodle soup and Lamar's donuts]

drinking lots of water [and juice].

and not worrying about looming obligations."

Mike brought me these...yep- he loves me.

I tend to go 150 miles an hour in life...there is always so much to do, to take care of, to get done, appointments to be at, etc.  I always think how nice it would be for life to be calm and less CRAZY.  I can't remember the last time I got enough sleep, or got enough done in the day, or was "caught up" at work. 

I have lists of my lists...things that need done TODAY...things that need done soon...and things that just need taken care of.  I'm not a nut, I just can't remember all of it...and I have lists at work too...otherwise I wouldn't remember what I was doing when I left the day before. 

I love having a clean house, the laundry mostly done (cause it will never be completely done), the bills paid, etc...those are things my mom always had done PLUS she had 6 kids, a husband and a job (some times part-time sometimes full-time)...not to mention there were seven of us for years...and Raelynn was not the easiest, hands-off child.  I often sit and think about my mother...how she did it all and how she always seemed so calm.  She was rarely cross.  She never seemed "stressed out".  What was her secret?

I want to slow this life down and savor the moments that matter.  I hope I am learning this lesson before we have a family so when we are lucky enough to run ragged as parents, we know how to take a step back and love the life we are living.

1 comment:

Kevin said...

This is very good food for thought. Thanx for sharing. :)