Saturday, January 15, 2011

Date With My Man...the Little One.

On Thursday we celebrated Billy's 17th Birthday.  Seventeen!?  How did that happen?  I swear I just moved in with Robyn and Bill for the summer before my Freshman year to Nanny Sydney and Baby Billy while Robyn worked during the day and Bill slept during the day so he could work at night.

Was that one sentence? Whew.

Anywho...we were invited to the Melting Pot to celebrate, but Mike had to work...so I invited the next best boy to be my date- Carsen.  I asked him to be my date, and he agreed.  I told him to wear nice clothes...and that I was super excited.

When I arrived at his house after work, he was still getting ready in his room. He shut the door and told me he wasn't ready and that I could not see him yet...so I stood in Richelle's bathroom while we fussed over Derek's hair.  Derek was her date.

Carsen opened his bedroom and door and walked down the long hallway to his mom's room...when he came through the door, he had this beautiful, proud smile on his face.  He knew he looked handsome.  He had on his nice jeans, his black church shoes and a polo shirt.  He was just perfect for our date.


Richelle asked if we were riding together...but I told her Carsen and I were on a date, so it was up to him.  He didn't take more than a second to decide he wanted to ride alone with me.  We were off to the restaurant...just the two of us.

We arrived and they showed up back to our group's table.  We were not the first to arrive; Robyn's family, my parents and Raelynn were already there...Richelle & Derek were just behind us.  Grumpaw turned around and he looked like a pirate.  He had his second cataract surgery, so the patch was just for germ protection.  It wasn't the cool black one with the strap holding it in place...it was the gross white gauze-y hospital make-shift patch.  Definitely not as cool.

Carsen poked me in the side and asked me if he could speak to me in private. I said, "of course" and he took my hand and led me outside of the banquet room we were in...to an empty table.  I sat down so I was at his level...and as my butt hit the seat, huge crocodile tears were flowing from Carsen's big, beautiful brown eyes.  My heart sank as Carsen sobbed, "Grumpaw's eye got poked out!"  Now I wanted to laugh (I didn't, don't worry), but I still felt awful...he's so small and so innocent (at times).  I did my best to explain that Grumpaw's eye had not been poked and was still there...and that he had surgery to fix a tiny problem that happens when you get old (sorry, Dad...I didn't know how else to explain it)...but that Grumpaw's eye would be fine in a day or two. 

After some huge tears, I didn't have to wipe them away anymore.  I asked Carsen if he wanted to talk to Grumpaw about it...so he could understand and know that he would be okay, but Carsen immediately said, "NO!"  I think the fear of the patch was plenty for him for one night...

We sat down to dinner and got everything started.  We had a round of virgin Miami Vices (1/2 pina colada & 1/2 Strawberry Daiquiri)...and then the meal.  Cheese fondue, salad, meats, and of course, chocolate fondue.  Delish!!  My date did not think it was a good as I did.  I think he ate some chocolate...but not even from our pot.  He won't eat anything with green or nuts on or in it.  Well...the cheese was spinach artichoke, the bouillon for the meat had green herbs...and the chocolate had nuts. Dang.  I am prety sure he got his necessary calories from the beverage and all the mints he could steal from the bathroom.

I dropped him off at nearly 10:30pm on a school night and made him promise to be perfect when he went inside...I told him to hurry and get ready for bed and fall asleep quickly and I would take him on a date to the Lego store soon.  He agreed, kissed me goodnight and was off.

*sigh*

I drove home alone...exhausted.  It was Thursday night and 10:30pm...and I wasn't home from work yet.  Wednesday night I got my hair done...didn't get home until 9:45pm.  Tuesday Mike worked day shift, so we snuck out for dinner at Fajitas with Rebecca & Cody.  Monday was crazy all day just trying to get stuff accomplished from being out of town and then kickball that night...and traveling- go-go-go all weekend since Thursday.  If there is a word that comes after exhaustion...that's what I was as I drove home from my dinner date.

Not that I'm complaining...I'm just sayin'.

1 comment:

E said...

Your "date" sounds totally precious. What a great memory, even the scary eye patch part.