Monday, January 10, 2011

Mr. Potato Head

Five years ago, when Jake was a few weeks old, Richelle and I took the boys to Disneyland with Regina's family.  It was THE best Disney trip EVER...for a lot of reasons, but it was my first time as an adult taking kids to the Happiest Place on Earth.  Watching their reactions to new and amazing things was priceless.  Plus...for an added bonus I got to snuggle with teeny, tiny six week old Jake all day for three days. 

Other than giving him up to nurse, he laid on my chest almost the whole time we were there.  I didn't go on any rides he couldn't go on with me...and I loved every second of it.  Not to mention all the compliments I got for being in such great shape after JUST giving birth to my beautiful son.  At first...I told all those complimenters he wasn't mine.  As time continued on...I started to really appreciate all those nice comments about how hard I must have worked to look that great after JUST giving birth.  I mean I had been there for the delivery...and every second of the pregnancy...and he was snuggled on MY chest...so I figrued what the heck...might as well enjoy looking that great after my delivery.  :)

I also kept Carsen most of the time too.  He was (sadly) too short for most of the rides...even though Hayden (who is 2 month younger) was more than tall enough for all the rides.  Carsen and I (and Jake too) spent the time roaming the streets and shops of Disneyland.  He never complained and we had so much fun together...one more example of how and why I fell so on love with my boy.

Anywho...while we were at California Adventure, we found a store with the coolest Mr. Potato Head offer.  Simply fill up the box provided with as much as you can fit inside for $19.95.  Most people aren't so bright...they put together a Mr. Potato Head, put it in the box and pay their $20.  They probably aren't even getting the same number of pieces you get at Target.  Everyone on the planet has at least one Mr. Potato Head (or can buy one at Target for $10)...so why put the large potato piece in the box and take up all the room?  Instead, we fill the box full of the cool stuff.  Richelle and I stuffed every last inch of that box.  The only stipulation was that the box must close.  Most of the accessories are special to California Adventure, so they are the coolest part anyway.

I inherited a lot of those pieces about a year or two ago when Richelle's boys were too old to love Mr. Potato Head anymore.  I, of course, loved getting it!!  I washed each piece and carefully found a bucket to store my treasure in.  A few pieces were missing...and Richelle kept a few basic pieces for work, but all in all it's perfect.

Fast forward to this Disney trip.  We went to California Adventure...found that store and were happy to see the same potato head deal!!  Sydney and I each grabbed a box (mine for a future child...please, please, please...and Sydney's for babysitting fun) and started stuffing.  Before I could turn around, Sydney had filled her box, checked out and was waiting for me to finish.  Robyn and Richelle stayed close and critiqued how I was filling my box.  I packed and re-packed that thing until it was stuffed, but it closed.  I got almost every single accessory offered.  I only left behind a pair of shoes or two...and some things I already had.  Whew.  I was excited.  Not to mention...Sydney and Richelle both asked me to grab a few pieces for each of them.

When we got back to the hotel, we had a look-see at the boxes...and then a count.  Here's what we had:


The final count: 

                                                                          Randi 48

Sydney 26

3 comments:

Carol said...

damn girl you stuff a good box!!! (that could be really sexual if i said that to a guy!) anywho - i had no idea that store existed or that they had that box idea! that is freaking amazing!!!! i love the stuff you girls got. that's what i need to - go there and do that - my boys would go crazy for all the extra disney fun stuff.

NEXT TIME I GO TO DISNEYLAND - YOU MUST REMIND ME OF THIS - and i am not kidding.

Kerrie said...

What an excellent score Randi!

It's My Life said...

You forgot to mention that Syd didn't get any hands to hold the pieces, she got 2 matching bows, but no matching cute shoes. Poor Syd. Maybe next time...