At Blip's 4-month well check, Dr. J told me I could start feeding Blip rice cereal or oatmeal between 4-6 months. She asked if he watches us eat...our schedule is CRAZY (and opposite of each other), so we rarely eat like normal people at a table at normal meal times. I'm not sure he's had a lot of opportunity to watch us put food in our mouths.
After numerous days of not sleeping through the night, I decided I would rather feed him solids and get my sleep...instead of waiting and be even more tired than I already am.
So I took Blip to Target this week to pick up some food. I spent way too much time frustrating myself. Debating between rice cereal and oatmeal. I had already read too much about it...and still felt clueless, so I picked Oatmeal. That's what Mike wanted, so what the hell...that's what we went with.
Then I wanted to grab a vegetable for next week. I debated between peas and green beans...then I debated between regular or organic. When I read the labels, I went for the regular. Regular peas was made from peas and water. The organic had a paragraph...and most of it I couldn't pronounce. Which confused me, so I went with the regular peas. Next we'll do green beans. Then carrots, squash, sweet potatoes, avocado...blah blah blah.
By the time we left Target, I had a headache and Blip was hungry (read: fussy).
I decided that tonight was the night. He was happy, so I just went for it. I mixed the oatmeal, sat down with him and fed my baby boy. He did better than I thought. He didn't cry or fuss. He made some faces, but I think it was mostly confusion.
He let me put the oatmeal in his mouth...and I could see him tasting it and swallowing it. He pushed a little bit out, but swallowed most of it. He didn't eat much, but I just wanted to introduce him to it...so we will keep working on it.



2 comments:
Yay for food! I love his bib, that's funny!
Yeah it goes by so fast. Our new doc just told us that he prefers oatmeal too. We had given Molly rice cereal just because she was coliky and supposedly that helps...who knows.
Also, I made all of Molly's food and it was super simple and eliminated trying to figure out what was what since it is literally just the vegetable/fruit. I would do enough on the weekends and just freeze in ice cube trays. Until she was eating a lot, I would do it all and it was sort of something I would look forward to. She ate better than me! It is all so frustrating to figure all this stuff out, but you guys are doing a great job!
Post a Comment