Sunday, February 9, 2014

Turning Two: Day 3

We let Blip sleep in a bit on Sunday, ate breakfast at the hotel (Blip started his meal off with a cookie in the room…and since we were technically celebrating his birthday…who could say no?), and then we finally made it to California Adventure.  As we were getting there I was pretty upset with myself for letting us start our day SO late.  We didn't get there until nearly 11am, so I knew we'd have to sacrifice doing some of the important stuff just based on lack of time alone.  And I was right…we never got to meet Sully, we never made it down around the backside of the pier, no Radiator Springs, and a few other things too.  I was mostly disappointed about Blip not getting to meet Sully, but there's always next time.














We started with the Monster's Inc. ride and then walked to A Bug's Land.  We went on a few rides before heading to Cars Land. We didn't go on any of the rides there because of the long lines, and the fact we needed a beverage and a snack.  We walked to the Warf in hopes of a bread bowl to share and a drink, but the line was at least 100 people long.  So we continued over to the pier. We got a churro after we rode the Golden Zephyr.  Blip LOVED it! We didn't wait more than a minute and it was another "flying" ride, so he was happy.  







After our churro we decided to leave for nap time.  I was disappointed to leave so soon…we'd only been there for a couple of hours, but it was really the only chance we would have to leave for a nap if we wanted to be back in time for the Pixar Parade…which I was NOT missing.  It was one of the main things I wanted Blip to see. 




So we left with our exhausted baby boy…he quickly fell asleep in the car.  We decided it would be best to just let him sleep in the car since we would have to cut his nap short anyway.  That plan worked out, and I was able to run into Target while Mike waited with the sleeping boy.





We headed back to the park just in time to find seats for the parade.  We were lucky enough to find good seats, and Mike bought us some freshly made caramel corn to snack on while we waited…and it was good!!  I hadn't had fresh, warm caramel corn in memory…and this did not disappoint.  The people we sat next to were very nice…we chatted with them until the parade began.  Their son was two, but about half the size of Blip, and I don't think he spoke any words while we were near them.  It's funny to see people's reaction to Blip being (insert number here) months old.  He's so tall and so talkative everyone thinks he's three.  I don't think he talks like a three year old, but he does say quite a bit…mostly I think it's his size.






The parade started with Monster's University…and Sully was impressed with Blip's Sully hat!  He pointed Blip out from his float and waved at him.  At least one of the dancers in each movie theme came over to wish Blip a happy birthday!  That birthday button got Blip soooo many birthday greetings (and birthday cupcakes).  After Monster's came The Incredibles, Finding Nemo, A Bugs Life, Toy Story, and then finished with Cars.  Blip seemed to love all of them, but his favorites were definitely Monster's and Toy Story.




The parade ended just in time for us to walk down to the Pier for our dinner reservations at Ariel's Grotto.  We made reservations there in order to get the reserved tickets for World of Color.  I absolutely LOVE that show…and since Blip LOVES all things water I was dang excited for him to see it.  Dinner was only okay, but the bill was ridiculous.  It was exactly what our bill at Goofy's kitchen was, but without the gratuity added in…so we still had to add in another 20%.  When the final/total dinner bill is well over $100…it should taste like it worth well over $100. 


The food wasn't bad, but it wasn't worth that kind of money.  Mike's meal simply wasn't enough food to cost that much.  He ordered the Surf & Turf…his entire entree portion consisted of two slices of meat and a small lobster tail (that was a little on the tough side) split in two on his plate.  I ordered pasta with shrimp.  Mine was a large serving with plenty of shrimp, but it was a little spicy for my taste.  I don't remember the menu mentioning spice, but I could have missed it.  Our food at Goofy's Kitchen the previous night was MUCH better and well worth the money.



After dinner we hurried over to the Golden Zephyr and rode it two more times.  There was NO wait, so it was fast and super fun…and Blip LOVED it!  He tried to hold his hands in the air (every time we rode it), but couldn't quite get them up all the way…or hold them up once he got them there.  It was the cutest thing ever.




To make the food worth even less money…we didn't even stay to see World of Color.  Let me say that I was extremely disappointed.  I even wanted to cry a little bit, but Mike's back has been hurting quite a bit lately, and after two days of walking around he was quite uncomfortable.  I asked him to make the decision whether we stayed or left…and told him I would be happy either way…and I was.  I was only disappointed on the inside.  And I got over it quickly.  I know it's not his fault.  I carried, picked-up, loaded, unloaded, changed, fed, and everything else I could think of for Blip that would help Mike not put extra strain on his back.  He continually asked me to let him help, but I was perfectly capable and happy to do what I could.  Hopefully it helped…at least a little.





Before we left the park we did walk over to Radiator Springs so he could see how incredible the ride was.  With a price tag of about $200 million…it should be, but it's hard to believe until you see it.  He did't want to wait to ride it even though the single rider line was only about 20 minutes, so we left after that.  Instead we sat and watched the fireworks from Disneyland. We couldn't hear the music, but we could watch most of the show in the sky.  I love fireworks.  While we did that, Mike finally caved and bought his boy a balloon.  And a light up Toy Story balloon at that.  



SIDE NOTE: We honestly did not buy any junk souvenirs.  We got Blip's silhouette done again this year (but Bonnie wasn't the one who did it…and it doesn't even look like him.  That shop will go out of business when she retires), bought the balloon…and I think that's it.  We didn't buy an ornament, a t-shirt…nada.  Being there with Mike was kind of a buzz kill.  He didn't want to walk through any shops or buy any type of keepsake for our trip. I love him a lot, but that part was hard to swallow.  And it isn't worth the fight, so I just let it be.  I will probably order something special for Blip's memory box.



I was sad to leave knowing we wouldn't be back as a family for a long time.  I want to take Blip back often, but I'm hoping to get pregnant in the next few months, so that would eliminate me taking him alone.  I'm sure I won't be dragging a brand new baby and my healing self to DL for Blip's birthday next year, so it could be a long time before we make it back.

No comments: