Monday, December 26, 2011

Christmas 2011

This year Christmas was very low-stress for us.  As we prepare for the baby's arrival, we agreed not to do a lot for each other.  It seems any extra money we can find has found its way to the baby loan, the baby store, the baby room, etc.  We each bought a few things for each other, but two of the gifts I bought for Mike...were opened long before Christmas.


I found a super cute book on-line called My Dad is My Hero.  I ordered it...and then forgot.  I asked Mike to pick up the mail for me a few days later...and he found a package waiting.  He opened the package and found the book. Dang.


I also found some Skechers shoes that look like little police cars...and the red and blue lights even light up!!  I couldn't resist, so Mike got those long before Christmas too.  Dang.  I am terrible.


Don't worry...I had a couple thing I was able to keep from him that he was able to open.  Although, by the time Christmas morning got here, they weren't exactly a surprise either.  Long story.


I was lucky enough to start my celebrating Friday morning with my girlfriends at my favorite breakfast place.  I met Erin, Natalie, Michelle, Laura and Pottle at US Egg for breakfast at 8am.  Yep.  You read that right.  I was up, dressed and had driven to Tempe by 8:10 in the morning.  


THAT'S how much I love my girls.  


We always struggle to make ALL of our schedules work at the same time, so it was truly a miracle to get to ALL be together to celebrate.  Erin refused pictures...since the two of us didn't do a lot to make ourselves presentable that early in the morning!!  Now I'm sad, but then I was on board with no pictures!!




Anywho...Mike and I started our holiday celebrating on Christmas Eve with the Buvala family.  We all met at Kelly's house for dinner, presents and togetherness.  We had prime rib, mashed potatoes, corn, green beans, salad, rolls and several desserts.  Grandpa Santa made his annual appearance...and passed out gifts to everyone.  Everyone seemed happy with their loot and with just being together.  It was a great night.




Mike and I came home and got ready for bed.  Unfortunately, it was a painful night for me (which then includes Mike).  I am pretty sure last night was my most painful night so far.  I'm not sure what/why, but I was in agony.  I was exhausted by the time we got home from Kelly's, but I'm not sure where the pain came from.


I am getting tired of it.  I am also starting to wonder what is causing so much pain.  If my ovaries have come down...and pregnancy shouldn't be painful all by itself...what is causing me so much pain and discomfort.  It's starting to really worry me.  I am also wondering of all my pain causes stress/issues to the baby.




Oh well.  I'll be fine.  We fell asleep sometime in the early morning and slept late.  Our last Christmas to sleep as late as we wanted...next year will be so much different.  We can't wait.


We woke up, had cocoa (Mike had coffee) and opened our presents to each other as we sat in front of our beautiful Christmas tree.


Mike turned on the fireplace, I sat in my recliner, Mike turned on the TV until it was time to get ready for the Rodgers family celebration at my dad's house.  Mike ate some left over prime rib for breakfast and he made me an egg sandwich.


Because of my pain level Saturday night...and the fact it stayed for the festivities on Christmas Day, I plopped in my dad's big recliner as soon as we got to my parents.  Everyone started arriving a few minutes after we got there.
  


My dad BBQ'd steaks on the grill, we had sweet potatoes, regular potatoes, asparagus, fruit and homemade rolls.  It was all yummy!!


After we finished eating, we hung out for a bit and then began our white elephant gift exchange.  I decided I wanted to keep the pickled butts one more year...and hoped no one would notice.  Oops...I wasn't so lucky.  So next year they will for sure be one of our gifts.  :)


Richelle wrapped up one of our favorite inside jokes.  Unfortunately, McKenna picked it for her gift...and boy was she unhappy with her selection.  Richelle and I were laughing so hard we were crying.  It's the picture keeps showing up (I'm not sure I should go into more detail.  It isn't bad....just a bad picture.  Carol...you know what it is!!).  I stole it back from McKenna so she could choose again.  My dad ended up stealing it from me....so I got to pick again.  







In the end, I got a pretty good gift.  I walked away with two metal straws from Circle K and a $10 gift card.  Not bad.  Mike ended up with a glovebox toolkit (one of our gifts...not that he knew that at the time).


We finished up our 19 person (seems we were missing quite a few family members this Christmas) gift exchange and my dad said he had something for his grandkids.  He spoke to the kids about his love for this great country and the sacrifice made by so many...including his own father.  He spoke about how Heavenly Father also loves this great nation and how He chose for the Church to be restored here.  He then passed out (nearly) completed state quarter maps to each of the grandkids present...including our little Blip.




It was fun to have a little one included...even if he isn't quite here yet.  I want so badly for my son to know both of his Grandpas.  I pray daily for both their health and strength...to be  here on this Earth for many more years.  It's something I have really struggled with since I was in my early 20's....the thought of my dad not being here and my children not knowing him.


We finished up the gift exchange by having our 2nd annual snowball-in-a-box fight.  We had a good time with it again this year.


The desserts were ready to be served by that time, so we all made our way into the kitchen and found what we wanted.  Robyn had made several different pies.  I had a little slice of banana cream, a sliver of cherry cheesecake and another little piece of Richelle's yummy pumpkin roll.


Everyone cleaned up our mess and then we all headed home.


Mike and I sat on the couch and turned on the TV when we got home, but by the time we picked up the remote...we decided we just wanted to go to bed.  We turned off the TV and headed upstairs (by about 10 o'clock).




Mike and I had a wonderful holiday together and with our families.  I think we mostly enjoyed talking about and being excited about how different Christmas will be next year with Blip.  Although I've wanted to be a mother for more years than I can remember, it's strange to be so close to that reality.  As the days pass, I think I am getting more anxious.


I am so excited to finally meet this little guy...to see what he looks like, to hold him, to tell him how much I love him, to watch him grow.  As hard as the pregnancy has been, there is a huge part of me that will miss it.  I hope I get to do it again someday, but if not...I hope I loved every second of this miracle (even the bad moments).  


I have tried my very best to soak up all of this time I've had to experience the miracle that is pregnancy.  I am nervous about the birthing process, but I am also excited to experience another miracle.  It will be so fun to have Blip here with us.  The holidays from now on will take on so much more meaning for us.


(Once again...we were awful at taking pictures.  We better work on this...)



1 comment:

Carol said...

Don't feel bad I have been sucking at pictures to and it really bums me out....I think I get so lost in the moment I don't even think about it :/

Dang, i wish I would have been there for the gift exchange so I could get the reappearing gift! That is so funny that McKenna got it and wanted it.

I love your dads gift to the grandkids, that is awesome!