Saturday, June 25, 2011

Bathroom Flood

I had the hardest time falling asleep Thursday night.  I tossed and turned...I was exhausted. I made Mike rub my back when he got home (which usually does the trick), but I still couldn't sleep.  I got up a second time to use the bathroom, noticed it was about 2am, crawled back up in bed...and just as I was getting really comfortable...I heard this LOUD sound of gushing water, but I had NO idea what it could possibly be.

I hopped out of bed...flung open the bedroom door, screamed for Mike and headed towards the bathroom.  Mike came running...and by the time Mike got upstairs, I was grabbing towels to try and stop the flow of water (as it was heading for my new carpet), but still didn't know exactly where the water was coming from.  Mike walked through the water to the toilet room and turned off the main water thingy (yes- thingy...that's what I'm calling it).  By this point the entire bathroom floor was COVERED in water...deep water.  The toilet room was the deepest, and my towel job and the bathroom rugs kept the water from reaching the carpet.

Mike ordered me out of the bathroom after he nearly slipped.  So I helplessly stood and watched as he cleaned up the mess (and took a few pictures, but not until most of the water was cleaned up...dang it.).  About eight towels and several buckets of water later...it was cleaned up.


The hose that connects the toilet tank to the main water supply in the wall broke....right at the joint that connects the piece to the tank.  Awesome.


After Mike left for work on Friday, I called my dad to whine to him about our near flood...and how disastrous it would have been had we not been home.  The entire house would have been flooded in a matter of minutes...I couldn't believe how fast the water was gushing out.


A few hours later, my dad showed up and fixed the toilet.  I love that about my dad...he always just offers or shows up to help. 

The near disaster made me think about everything I currently keep on the floor...and how water damage would not be a good idea for any of it.  My shoes, some clothes in my closet, some luggage, the soon-to-be nursery is (was) covered in piles of baby clothes I was sorting and putting on baby hangers (I've been waiting my whole life...and I am on orders to do nothing...so it's keeping my mind occupied...leave me alone :) ), the office floor downstairs has some pictures in a box, some fabric...you get the idea...it would have been awful.  It's been too long since I've been able to do a good clean of my house and get things organized and put away.

Not to mention our furniture, the walls, the ceiling, artwork on the walls downstairs, the paint, the flooring, etc.  I can't imagine what a nightmare it would be to suffer through a disaster like that...and to be displaced while the house would be getting redone.

I feel very blessed that piece broke while we were home.  Now we just need to fix the one other old toilet so this doesn't happen again...ever.

p.s. our one casualty of the flood was my scale.  I told Mike I really hated that thing anyway...it was always so negative lately...bleh. :)

3 comments:

Kerrie said...

Thank Goodness you were home! My college roommate's childhood home flooded one summer when they had a bathroom leak and were gone on vacation. I kid you not her parents moved! Her mom said it was just exhausting having to live in the torn up house and they had been considering a move for a few years. Still very crazy.

my mudda' calls me jack said...

scales are hardly considered a casualty... especially when you're pregnant. I say it was a blessing you were home and God was sending you and the scale a message....

Unknown said...

Thinking about the situation, it's really a good thing you were at home. I could just imagine how hard it is to clean up all the mess and repair all the damaged area of the house. Also, how sweet is your dad to take over and fix the damages. I guess all dads are like that, ready to save us from these kinds of problem. *Allen Hoffman @ Damage-Restoration-Tucson.com