Mike & I wanted to do something fun with the boys while we had them this weekend. The boys (including Mike) love to go fishing, so we thought heading north for a few hours to get out of the heat would make for a memorable day. Unfortunately, I think it was just as hot in Sedona and there were no fish that wanted to bite. We still had a great time together and in the shade, the weather was wonderful.
(this is how I found them Sunday morning...)
The boys were too excited to sleep on Saturday night, so when they were a slightly grouchy Sunday morning...I totally understood. I was not looking forward to a grouchy road trip, but happiness came quickly after dragging themselves out of bed. We got dressed and ready to head out...but nobody wanted breakfast. We loaded up, made a pit stop for socks and better shoes (to hike in) for Jake and to feed/water the dogs at Richelle's house.
Once we were on the road, life was good. I brought Carsen's DS, but he didn't want to play it. He quietly looked out his window...Jake had his blanket, so he was happy...happy enough to sleep most of the way up. (Whew!! I'm pretty sure his nap saved us from being with whiny, grouchy Jake all day.) Derek didn't want to play my DS...he just looked out the window. I brought along a book to read in the car...but then I couldn't put it down. I felt like Regina. We forgot to put the CDs in the truck (and there is no iPod jack yet), so Mike listened to static until we wanted to kill ourselves...then he turned it off.
We found our spot, but realized there was no way to hike down with the cooler holding our picnic. We decided to take some drink, the fishing gear and ourselves (and my book) down with us to the water. It was blazing hot in the sun...I've never been in Sedona when it was THAT hot. Down by the creek, it was very shady and a lot cooler.
The boys fished for a while...Derek and Mike fished the longest. There wasn't any catching going on, so the littler boys were very bored very quickly. Unfortunately, Carsen is old enough to go...if there is catching going on. Jake is still too little to really get it...and I was too involved in my book to want to play in the dirt or chase bugs. When I did put down my book, I took pictures with my camera...I just wanted to try things out on different settings...see what I remembered. It was fun.
After we were all utterly bored, we hiked back up to the truck and found a place to picnic. The only food we each consumed some of was the container of Oreos. Mike and I had Chicken salad...Derek tried some too. Carsen had a jelly sandwich and a lunchable thingy we stole from his house. Jake had eaten his jelly sandwich before the fishing, so he ate a lunchable too (also stolen from Richelle's fridge. Hope they weren't special). We had some chips, sodas and lots of Oreos. I made homemade cookies too, but they didn't turn out...not sure what I did wrong?
Lunch ended and Mike's search to find the boys fish continued...I enjoyed the driving further and further because I could sit and read my book. They boy were excellent!! They never made a peep...until Jake had to go to the bathroom RIGHT NOW. It was my fault...I was forcing them to drink more water, Gatorade, soda...whatever so they wouldn't get dehydrated. Jake was the only that listened every time I told him to drink... Luckily Jake is a boy. A quick stop and we were buckled and back on the road.
By the time we actually gave up and began the drive home, I was sure the boys would be miserable...which would equal the end of my patience. I have to say, they boys were so good I was worried. Carsen fell asleep for a bit...then Jake did too. Derek sat quietly and looked out his window...I think he was sad we didn't catch any fish. I was just happy for the silence to read my book. I'm sure Mike was not as thrilled about my silence ALL day while I read. Then again, maybe he was.
We made it home, unloaded and Richelle came to get my three boys. We were sad to see them go, but happy to sit on the couch and watch TV (whatever show we wanted- regardless of scariness or rating)...I also got to finish my book.

1 comment:
Love the pictures...and the last one reminded me a quote I heard today..."The babbling brook would lose its song if all the stones were removed."
Post a Comment