I picked up a new book at Costco over the weekend called Dirty Sexy Politics written by Meghan McCain. It's basically her account, from her point of view, of her father's Presidential campaign. Although I don't agree with everything Meghan McCain says, thinks or believes...I do like a lot of what she had to say in the book. She is now a registered Republican, and also has some moderate views like me. I call myself a conservative, but not 100% of my views fall into the category.
I believe in what the Republican Party stands for- "Honesty. Individualism. Freedom." (Although I doubt too many people actually in politics are honest.) I truly believe in small government, a strong defense and low taxes...I am pro-life, believe in the right to bear arms, the defense of American sovereignty and freedom of religion (freedom of religion...not freedom from religion). This country was founded on many things, but the freedom to worship God freely was one of the ideals many liberals have forgotten about. Nobody is saying you have to believe in God, but those of us that do should be able to so however, whenever and wherever we choose to do so. If men in the military want to pray before going into battle...the government shouldn't tell them not to...and nobody should be "offended" by it either. Look away...don't tell them they can't believe, or that it's wrong. The Pledge of Allegiance should also no be offensive. We truly are "...one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
I also whole heatedly believe in traditional American values. Some of those values include, respect for human life, personal responsibility and love of country. I am a believer that anyone so far right or so far left that they can no longer see the middle- is totally off their rocker. There is no way to win without each side, so there needs to be a middle ground. I don't believe this great nation will continue to be a superpower with the crazies of either party running the show...or if we are owned by China (as we creep closer and closer with each trillion).
Right or wrong...this is my opinion (in the shortest form possible). I want my children to be able to look back and KNOW what I stood for. What I would give my life for. What I would hope they would be willing to give their lives for. God. Their Country. Their Family...their values.
My favorite part of Meghan McCain's book was this quote:
"I had been raised to speak my mind freely and be independent. If there was one thing that my dad wanted for me- and all his kids- it was to be strong, think for ourselves, and support ourselves. We were never supposed to rely on government or family money or a trust fund to take care of us. We were supposed to work, make a life for ourselves, and find a way to make things better around us."
I was also raised with this mindset. My dad's favorite saying growing up was, "Your word is your bond." Meaning that what we said we would do, we would follow through with- no matter what.
TWINS SENIOR YEAR HOMECOMING PARADE!
3 weeks ago

1 comment:
Thank you for this post!
Post a Comment