Sunday, October 25, 2009

Brand Names

I'll admit that I can be a brand name snob with certain items. I'm not saying I have to have everything name brand, but some things I would rather not have if it isn't the name brand.

For example, I wouldn't carry a fake purse...I just don't see a reason to pretend you have a Coach bag, a Louis Vuitton, etc. If you don't want to spend a lot on a purse, there is no reason to spend any amount on a bag pretending to be something it isn't.

I feel the same about Ugg boots. I don't care what boots other people wear...but if I couldn't (or didn't want to) afford Ugg boots, I wouldn't want to pretend I had Ugg boots. I don't care what other people buy, wear, etc...it's just a thing I have. I think pretending to have something you don't is stupid. There is nothing wrong with buying a purse or wallet from Target...so why pretend you have something you don't?

Anywho...I don't normally have a problem using some store brand products. I have recently discovered there are a few products with differences that require the extra few dollars to get the name brand. There are plenty of store brand items that are worthy of being purchased, but the two products I will use for examples are NOT equivalent in taste or quality...

#1 - Contact Solution. Several years ago, my eye doctor suggested I switch from RENU to Opti-free. That was the year that RENU caused all those people to go blind...he thought it was best to switch products until they figured out what the problem was. Obviously, I had no problem with that. Opti-free is a little pricier, but what's a few buck for your eyes, right?

I decided to try the Target brand contact solution about 6 weeks ago...it was SO cheap (about 1/4 of the price, I think.) and I figured it was no big deal. I am here to tell you that YES- there IS a difference and it IS a big deal!! It's the WORST contact solution EVER!! My eyes are always SO dry!! I can usually wear my 2-week contacts for about 4-5 weeks before they "need" to be replaced, but with Target brand solution...I barely make the two weeks!! Ugh. I'm throwing the rest of our first bottle away and the entire unopened second bottle is going with it.

#2- Store brand Graham Crackers. There IS a difference...and the extra money (although quite a bit extra) is worth it!! We don't eat a ton of Graham Crackers...but when we do eat them the store brand ones are disgusting!! Also in this category is store brand cheez-its and anything similar.p.s. There is also a difference between Dr. Pepper and ALL the others that try to copy. No matter what my cheap-a$$ brother says- Dr. Thunder does NOT taste like Dr. Pepper...3-liters at a time or not.

4 comments:

Carol said...

mac n cheese has to be kraft - can NOT go generic.

Anonymous said...

LOL! You are so funny. I agree abt the purses - I don't buy ones to look like designers. I take pride in my $12 purses. With the crackers - I second this. There is SUCH a difference. Contact solution - I have bought the Wal-Mart brand for years, and never had a problem. Hmmm...

And, Carol - I totally agree. Mac N Cheese MUST be Kraft.

The Willeyes said...

I agree!!! There are just some things you CANNOT get generic. Mac and Cheese-Kraft amd Charmin to name a few and AMEN...NOTHING is the same as the real Dr. Pepper :O)

E said...

There are no better grahams at any grocery store than Honey Maid. It's true.

I also only buy Best Foods Mayo. I have given others a shot but now I know that there's just no other brand I like better.

There ARE store brands of other products that I actually love, but you are right, there are certain things that just cannot be duplicated well enough buy non brand names.