Thursday, November 15, 2012

Peek-a-Boo

We have been struggling with bedtime for several weeks.  I struggle with my own bedtime on a regular basis, but we have never struggled with Blip's.  His sleeping has been incredible pretty much since day one, but he has been the most amazing child ever born since about six weeks...then a step above that from then on.  Until his 8 month birthday.

I won't go in to all the awful details because I don't want to cry...or try to harm myself, but life around here went for braggably (is that a word? well...it is now.) awesome to freaking horrible.

Blip's schedule and sleep routines were the one thing I really felt "I got this" about.  Everything else...well...he's surviving...and so are we...so that's not failing, right?  His eating...eh...he's still got double dimples at his elbows, so we can't be all wrong, right?

So...the other night after putting our baby boy to bed the crying started.  I went up to soothe him after Mike tried.  I leaned over the railing to kiss his forehead while I was rubbing his head...and he calmed instantly.  I stood there for 30 seconds or so just breathing his sweetness in...I love when he just lets me love him.  I pulled myself back a bit and began to stand up when all of a sudden he pulled his blanket over his face with both hands.  He likes to rub his blanket against his cheek, but this was complete coverage.

He quickly thrust the blanket away from his face.  He had a HUGE smile...and he let out a giggle.  It took me a second to realize what was happening, but when he thrust the blanket back over his face...I knew we were playing peek-a-boo.  I quickly said, "Where's Cody?"  His response was to giggle...and then tear that blanket away from his face.  We did this over and over and over.

I was breaking EVERY rule we ever even pretended to have about bedtime, but how do you stop such awesomeness?  I figured by this point Mike had to be watching the monitor wondering what in the world we were doing, so I turned to the camera and told Mike he was going to miss it if he didn't come.

Mike got there just in time for another round of Blip's new game.  We all played for a few more minutes...and then it really was time for Blip to sleep.  He fell asleep pretty quickly...even after our funny little game.

No comments: