By about 10am on Monday morning, the doctor made his way in to check on Blip. The doctor was pleased with the recovery the baby had made and said we were okay to take him home. We were so happy to leave with our son, but also so thankful we had such great care when we needed it.
Here's what we ended up dealing with:
Blip was positive for RSV. His cough was pretty much gone by the day after we got home (Tuesday). We only had to suction Blip's nose one time since we left the hospital. This baby is so awesome...if you didn't know he was sick...you'd never be able to tell.
He was so sick on Friday. It was wonderful to see such a positive change in only a few days. I am so, so thankful we were able to get Blip in to the doctor and get his sickness looked at early. I think things could have been much worse if we had waited through the weekend to get him support.
We were also able to deal with the reflux issue. We weren't sure if reflux was what we were dealing with, but the doctors were sure. Our sweet, mellow child never puked or even cried from the discomfort, but he would sound like he was regurgitating after eating...sometimes a while after he ate. At times, it seemed like he was choking....but then recovered quickly and on his own.
The second option was to give Blip a type of medicine similar to Zantac. I'm not a super freak, but I wasn't too sure about giving my four week old prescription meds...obviously reflux isn't life threatening, and I would do whatever I needed to do to save the baby's life...but meds already? Ugh.
We agreed to start with the rice cereal option. I immediately disliked it. It was a guessing game at how much rice made the formula or breast milk the right consistency. Plus, I wasn't loving the idea of adding rice cereal to my four week old's food.
I am sounding more and more like a freak.
After a day or so of adding rice, Blip was still showing signs of discomfort, so we started him on the Zantac. We also stopped the cereal, but continued to keep him upright after eating and we elevated his bed.
Blip's weight was also an issue that needed to be dealt with. I think we all believed that the weight issue was caused mostly by the reflux issue. Blip ate enough to survive, but as little as possible to try and avoid the burning sensation of reflux. Pretty smart if you ask me. He never even ate every two hours...
I was feel overwhelmed and so guilty about everything to do with nursing my sweet baby, but I do believe my milk consumption issues are all thyroid related. Lactation issues are very common in women with Hashimoto's Disease. I know it's not my fault, but I am still struggling with what to do...what's right for me and what's right for the baby. Hopefully I will figure it all out...and come to terms with it all very soon.
We have a home health nurse coming to the house twice a week to check on the baby, but her scale is not quite what the scale at the hospital is...or the one at the doctor's office. We have a follow-up on Monday, so we will check his weight on our regular weight check scale.
For now, we are just happy our baby is feeling better and gaining weight. We are also very thankful we were able to help Blip be more comfortable. So far the Zantac is a miracle for us...he seems to feel so much better.







1 comment:
Blip is great!!! And He has a great mommy and daddy!!!
You are doing a fantastic job with the baby!
Post a Comment