Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Project: Demolition Backyard = Turtle Pond

I've had two turtles for 10+ years and have had a pond at every house I've owned. There was an atrium in the condo Kyle & I bought in 1999, and Kurt built me a new pond when I moved to Chandler in 2003.

The turtles have grown from the size of a 1/2 dollar to larger than a saucer in the decade we've been together. They are very cool and are still one of the happiest parts of my life. They are quiet and don't need a lot, but I love 'em...and have managed not to kill them.

Mike agreed to build me a new turtle pond here at OUR house. Nothing will ever top having the atrium basically inside the house like at the condo, but so far Mike's pond has been quite an adventure. Plus, it will be neat to look at from the house...in Chandler, the only place to put the pond was on the side...made it hard to see.
Mark brought a backhoe last Friday and they demolished the ugly wall in the backyard. We are assuming the wall was built as a planter, but the only thing growing were weeds. After all that crap was hauled away, Mark, Mike & Ken dug a spot for the new, much larger pond.


So far that's where the story and construction stops, but some day very soon, I am hoping we can transport the turtles from Chandler to Peoria so they can move into their new home as well. I hope they like it here as much as we do.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hey! I can't believe all you guys have done and are still doing!! Holy crap!! Keep it up, your house is going to be amazing!!