Tuesday, November 11, 2014

NYC: Day 7: Headed Home

I went to bed Monday night without a shower, without setting an alarm, without taking out my contacts…pretty much I fell into our comfy bed and slept.  It was the first night in memory I didn't even wake up to use the bathroom.  At some point in the morning, Mike did get up to use the bathroom…and then he came back to bed.  I was curious how much longer I was going to get to sleep, so I checked the time…oh crap!

It was 8:30-ish am and we needed to be leaving for the airport in less than an hour.  We hadn't packed a thing, I needed to shower, and we needed to eat something.  Ugh…we jumped out of bed and started packing and getting ready.  I jumped in the shower and quickly pulled myself together while Mike did the same.  He packed his bag and then went to grab us food while I finished packing us.

He went downstairs to Pommes Palais and grabbed water, yogurt parfaits (so good!), and egg croissant thingys (they were just okay).  After scarfing down a nearly $40 breakfast (I know!), we called for someone to come help with our bags.

Mike arranged for an Uber car to take us to the airport, but after waiting for a long time (in comparison to normal wait times for an Uber car), the guy canceled .  He couldn't get to us because the Veteran's Day parade had too many streets shut down. So the doorman encouraged us to take a cab, so that's what we did.  

The cab driver had a hard time getting us to where we needed to be because of the parade, so he asked us if we cared if he took the Holland Tunnel.  Um…we have NO idea where were are or how to get to where we're going…that's why we're in your backseat.  So we told him to do whatever he needed to do to get us to the airport as quickly as possible…plus seeing the tunnel was cool and on my list.  $95 + tip later…we were at the Newark airport in plenty of time. 

We checked in, waited forever in the security line, and had about 25-30 minutes to wait until boarding.  Ah…perfect.  So glad we didn't take the train back…it would have been stressful to lug all of our bags BACK to the airport.

We settled into our seats and enjoyed our flight home.  The closer we got…the more excited I got to see Blip.  I know Mike was already super excited because he spent the entire cab ride to the airport showing me videos of our cute son on his phone.  We had such a great trip, but man…it was good to be home and hold my boy in my arms.

Nana picked him up from Ms. Barbie's early and took Blip to the airport to watch the planes.  She is a good Nana…the best.  We couldn't ask for better.  Carlys puled up the curb to pick us up and I jumped in the backseat to hug and kiss on Blip.  He wasn't as excited and animated as I had hoped.  Instead…he started crying.  I took him out of his carseat and held him on the curb…and then passed him off to his daddy.  The tears stopped quickly, but you could tell he was ready for us to be home and be a family again.  We felt the same way.

I absolutely had the best time.  Mike and I needed this trip in the worst way.  I wish we had done it before I got pregnant…for several reasons, but I have no complaints.  We really enjoyed being married and just getting to be together.  It wasn't a "relaxing" vacation, but it was just what we needed.  It felt so good to rest and recharge with the man of my dreams.  The business of life seems to take hold after a while, so getting to do this before adding #2 was super important.  I highly recommend leaving the kid(s) behind and just being married for a week.  It's the best thing we've ever done for our marriage.  I can't wait to do it again (someday).

No comments: