Friday, November 7, 2014

NYC: Day 3: Statue of Liberty & the Rockettes

We actually left on time to grab food and make the train to Battery Park.  We walked to Grand Central Station to catch the train heading downtown because we had tickets for the Statue of Liberty.  I was excited…pretty much giddy.  





I'm not sure how excited Mike was, but I seriously have been wanting to be in NYC and see the Statue of Liberty up close and personal my entire life.  When we flew in from Rome…I got a glimpse of her, but there wasn't enough time to go see her.  Our flight from Naples had been canceled, so our day in NYC got canceled when we had to spend an extra night in Italy.  I was thrilled for the extra time in Naples, but bummed about missing NYC…so I've been waiting a long time.



I loved the NYC subway, but it wasn't hot (or smelly)…and I didn't love ALL the people.  There are soooo many people there…how can EVERY subway car be FULL on ALL those trains…and the traffic is still ridiculous.  Cracks me up.



Anywho…we made it to the ticket booth, grabbed our tickets, and headed for the boat.  The ride was quick, but cold.  We took some pictures and huddled together for warmth.  We had *almost* decided to leave our heavy jackets at the hotel because the weather was going to be warmer and no rain.  I'm glad we didn't because it was dang cold on the water.  We FaceTimed Blip as the boat was docking, so that made our day start off even better.


We had tickets for the pedestal, so we meandered around the museum part and then hiked ALL the stairs to the top of the pedestal.  I was hurtin' by the time we were at the top, but not nearly as much as I hurt the following few days.  My calf muscles were sore!  I asked Mike how many flights of stairs he thought we climbed, and he said ten.  I didn't think it was quite ten, but it did feel like it was ten, so that's what we'll go with.



We took in the view of the City and then climbed back down.  It was the first time I was thankful we couldn't get crown tickets. I'm not sure my pregnant body would have made it up anymore stairs.



Or so I thought.  We climbed more stairs on this trip than in my entire life.  Down into the subway, back out of the subway over and over…plus all the walking.  My calves were done.




As we wandered around taking our time on Liberty Island we thought we should double check what time our Rockettes tickets were for.  I could have sworn they were for 3pm, but nope…the show started at 2pm.  It was about 10 minutes to noon, so we sprinted for the boat that was scheduled to leave any minute.  We didn't have enough time to go to Ellis Island, so that was disappointing, but it's something we can do next time.




We made the boat just before it left…whew!  Once back to Battery Park we made a beeline for the Subway.  We figured we had just enough time to make it back to Grand Central, grab a hot dog and eat on our walk back to the hotel…change our clothes, grab our tickets, and make it to the show. **Luckily** Radio City was only two blocks from the hotel…we could see it from our window, so we a) knew where we were going and b) could get there quickly.




We literally walked up to the back of the line as people were being let in.  We grabbed popcorn and a water, found our seats (which were awesome), and settled in for the show.



I am so glad we went, but I think that stuff is more enjoyable with Blip.  I was glad that we got to see the Christmas show. We had tickets opening day and to the first show.



After the show we walked back to the hotel, via St. Patrick's Cathedral, to make dinner plans.  The Cathedral is being renovated, so we didn't get the best views, but totally worth seeing.  I heard a dad telling his kids that the Pope had been there and pointed to the chair he sat in.  I don't know which Pope or when, but I thought that was cool.



Our Concierge (Jimmy) made us reservations at an Italian place called Il Gattopardo.  We wanted reservations at Patsy's, but they were booked, so we trusted Jimmy with his recommendation…and he did not steer us wrong.  The food was more cuisine-y than we wanted, but it was delicious.  Everything we ate was so yummy.  And expensive.  haha…Luckily we planned for eating good food every night for dinner.  




We ordered an appetizer to share…it was delicious.  Totally different food than I expected Mike to like, but it was awesome. Peppers with this amazing cheese called burrata and something else.  I should have written it all down.  We both ordered the pasta special of the night…and I can't remember what it was other than freshly made ravioli something or other. It was so good too…dang I hate my memory!  For dessert I ordered the chocolate soufflé and Mike ordered the Crostata.  Mine was better, but that's because it was mine.  Mmmm…it was a great meal.




After our short cab, but expensive ride to dinner, we decided we could walk back to the hotel.  It only took one day to realize we might need a ride TO dinner or wherever we were headed, but I could usually get us back for a lot cheaper.






Our dinner reservations were early (even for Phoenix standards…but for NYC standards…we pretty much had lunch).  But we were tired! I think we may have been bummed to be stuck in the room so early, but we didn't have plans for Saturday morning, so we rented a movie…the new Transformers.  Unfortunately it cut out three times, so we never saw the ending, but I was mostly asleep anyway.  They refunded us our money, so we slept instead. Our room was amazing, so spending a little extra time relaxing was not a bad thing.

No comments: