Thursday, February 9, 2012

A Night at OB Triage

I've been having severe headaches for the last few days.  Off and on, but really bad at night.  On top of the headaches, my lower back has been killing me.  Horrid period cramps times 10.  Add to that some nausea at night too...and dang...I am miserable.


I was finally miserable enough last night that I agreed to go to OB Triage.  When we checked in, I was taken back quickly...Mike was asked to wait in the waiting room.  I learned quickly why.  The nurse had to get the "necessary" questions out of the way...any domestic violence?  Anything we need to keep from Mike?  Any history of STDs?  Any history of abortions?  Of course the answer to all the questions was no, but I guess it's necessary to make sure women coming in and out of the hospital are safe.


Anyway...I got changed and waited for Mike to be shown back.  The nurse got me hooked up to the monitor, checked my blood pressure and I tried to get comfortable.  After a while, I couldn't stand the discomfort in my back any longer, so I sat up.  I knew moving would most likely make the baby move too...probably making the monitor not be able to pick him up.




I was right.  The nurse came in to see why the baby wasn't showing up...I told her I couldn't lay down any longer.  She tried to get the baby back on the monitor, but was having a hard time.  She had me lay on my left side...and found him.  Unfortunately, his heart rate had dropped while he was off the monitor.  It was well below 100...so the nurse immediately put me on Oxygen and another nurse opened the door and asked if she needed help getting an IV started.  My nurse just had the other nurse get the IV stuff for her and asked her to call the doctor.  Oh boy.


While this was all going on, my nurse had me roll over to my right side to see if the baby's heart rate would go back up.  Luckily for all of us...that worked.  His heart rate slowly went back up to the low 100s.  It stayed there for a while.  Then it slowly crept back up to around 115ish.  Still low for Blip's "norm"...but in the okay range.



The nurse talked to the doctor.  She said we would most likely be admitted, so she needed to start an IV.  She found a vein she liked in the left hand...and went for it.  I have never been this heavy or this swollen, but as a phlebotomist, I do know how hard it is to "stick" someone with deep veins.  I have great veins...normally...and I've never had a problem having my blood drawn or getting an IV.  But last night...OUCH.  My vein blew...and damn that hurt.  Another nurse came in and found a vein in my left arm (close to my wrist).  That one hurt too, but not nearly as bad as the first one.  Geez...I had no idea how much a blown vein hurt.


They monitored us for a while...then they sent us out for a BPP (biophysical profile)...which measures the baby's heart rate, muscle tone, movement, breathing, and the amount of amniotic fluid around your baby.  I have had this test before.  Blip always passes.  He passed again last night too.  The first fluid measurement the chick got was a 5 (the very lowest amount that would equal normal/safe)...she remeasured and got 13.  I HATE HATE HATE that the measurements fluctuate so much.


After being brought back from the ultrasound, I was hooked back up to the monitors.  I knew we passed the BPP, but was still thinking we'd be admitted based on Blip's heart rate drop.  The nurse came in and said the doctor was going to send us home.  By that time it was 4am, so I wasn't complaining.  I knew we were both exhausted. The thought of being induced and doing another 18-24 hours of labor was going to be impossible.  I was also starving...and knew if they didn't let me eat, I REALLY wouldn't make it.


While I was laying there, I was telling Mike ALL the things I still needed to do before the baby came.  I told him I wasn't ready and that I wanted to go home.  I told him I never thought we'd be staying and that I was scared.  He comforted me as much as possible...


I had a list that still needed to be put in my hospital bag.  Plus, I hadn't put the baby book in the bag yet...I told Mike I needed that book so the baby's footprints would be done.  AND I hadn't put the carseat in yet...and I hadn't packed anything for the baby yet...not even an outfit.  


I felt overwhelmed.  I was afraid to go home.  I was afraid to stay.  I am ready to have the baby, but I am so not ready to have the baby.  I'm in pain and I want to move to the next step...I never thought I'd be terrified to actually take the next step.


We got home after 5am and passed out.  We were both exhausted.  When I woke up to call the doctor, I finally felt like I had a clear head.  I was upset they sent me home.  With the baby's heart rate dropping like that for no known reason...what if it happens again?  What if my movements or the way I sit affects him negatively?  I left a message for the doctor's assistant with my concerns.  


After a few hours, I finally got a call back from a nurse in the office.  I asked her a bunch of questions.  I told her I was concerned.  She told me Dr. T was on-call at Banner Estrella tonight, so if I felt I needed to see her tonight, I could always go there.  If not, the nurse recommended I make an appointment to see Dr. T first thing in the morning.  I made an appointment for 9am.  The nurse also reminded me I could go back to OB Triage anytime I felt concerned.


I don't want to go back just to be sent home, but I do feel concerned about all of this.  My lower back is killing me.  No headache yet today...and no nausea.  So I think I will wait it out until tomorrow unless something changes.

2 comments:

Kevin said...

I know I don't know a thing about what you're going through, so I hope I don't say things that make you roll your eyes. I don't want to be one of 'those people'. But I do know stress/anxiety & how INSANELY taxing it can be, so I hope you are able to relax or at least find a way to take your mind of all of it for even a little while. May Heavenly Father bless you & your little boy with some relief and peace for whatever little time is left on this journey. I'm rootin' for ya. :)

Anonymous said...

Hope blip comes soon, sounds like you're getting some signs - and sounds like you are ready to have him on the outside! Come on baby!!!