Day two at the cabin was Christmas Eve. The plan for the day included the men heading out to find our Christmas Tree and the women staying home (to stay warm and) to make pies, cookies and other assorted Christmas goodies. It was a fun day spent in the kitchen with all the sisters, Mom and Dad...with the kiddos wandering in and out for goodies.
After the men returned, we got the tree set-up and decorated. Mike said they had a good time hunting for the tree...something he has always wanted to do, but never had the chance until now.
In the afternoon, Mike and I took Sydney, Savannah and Brooklyn to Target with us. We just ran in to town for a couple forgotten items, and to track down a tube for the snow. We located tiny snow gloves and mittens for McKenna, but we had no luck with the tube. I love spending time with my three oldest nieces. They are so much fun and I love to sit and talk with them...it amazes me how grown-up they all are. One of my greatest blessings in my life has been my best cousin, Pretty Carol. We have been close forever...I looked forward to holidays for many reasons, but most of all- I got to spend time with Carol. It's fun for me to see Syd, Savannah and Brooklyn laugh, play and just love each other.
For dinner, we made several different soups and had Mom's homemade french bread. We made carrot chowder, potato, stew and one of the soups from Olive Garden. I could get used to all the homemade food and homemade bread!!
After dinner, Sydney put together the nativity with all the grandkids. The costumes were super cute and everyone seemed to enjoy participating...except Raelynn. It took some convincing to get her into costume...then she was being such a pain that I agreed to take her spot. In the end, Raelynn was our shining star.
The nativity ended and we each opened our two customary Rodgers' family traditional Christmas Eve gifts; new pajamas and new slippers. Everyone opened matching pajamas- yes, I said EVERYONE (even though some people's weren't wuite long enough).
We had SO much fun!! Everyone participated...and it was one of my favorite memories ever.

3 comments:
I LOVE IT! (Especially Raelynn's picture.) Everything sounds just fantastic. I dunno if Mike told you but he, Patrick, and I used to do "nativity plays" with the neighbor kids when we were little. But, we didn't have such great costumes. We used bathrobes and towels mostly. LOL
My Xmas eve was rough, but the happiest part was that Ivy was that Ivy was able to be released from the hospital! We still had to deal with the trauma and steriod induced rage that she would struggle through for the next 24 hours, but at least she got through it at home. She's still not 100% but she is much much better now.
I hope you guys continue to have a warm and wonderful experience out there.
oh raelynn - i just want to squeeze her!
ok i LOVE the christmas pajamas, the house you stayed at, the stories, the tree falling over, the snow - everything!!! sounds amazing!!!
merry christmas to you all!
LOVE the matching pj's :)
Post a Comment