Just like my holiday craft ability, the pecan idea has turned into a FRUSTRATING evening and there will be a trip to the store to purchase candied pecans for the stupid salad.
I sent Carol a text asking for an e-mail with the directions. I then get a phone call telling me how
easy making the stupid candied pecans are...she said it was "simple". I listened, asked a few questions, but thought it did seem "simple"...so I figured it would be a quick and easy way to get candied pecans the
cheaper way.
Once again...not so much. Here are the instructions:
Spray "PAM" in a pan on medium heat
Dump nuts in and add approximately double the sugar. (ex- if I use one cup of pecans, use approximately two cups of sugar.) Carol even stressed how much sugar it would appear to be...and said not to worry. She said to keep the heat on medium so the mixture didn't burn...but said I could turn it up higher if I wanted. (I didn't want to...)
Eventually, while I am stirring my pecans and sugar the sugar will caramelize (my word, not Carol's)...then dump the nuts and brown goo (also my word) onto wax paper.
Wa-la. Done. Homemade Candied Pecans.
Here's what I got after nearly 25 minutes...burned pecans and a whole lot of browned white sugar
I decided to start over...I must have done SOMETHING wrong. This time I added several sprays of PAM throughout my stirring...after 25 minutes, this is what I ended up with.
From now on, my wreaths AND my candied pecans will be store bought. I'm not a back cook...but apparently "candying" nuts and trying to follow simple craft ideas are NOT easy for my brain to comprhend. **sigh**
5 comments:
Hey, at least you tried. Now have her come over and show you how...you'll be a pro in nothing flat. You can do anything!
oh dont give up! you didn't cook them long enough. i didnt realize you were going to do that many nuts at one time....take those pictures you just showed me and keep going....you haven't ruined them at all yet!!! call me.
hmm... maybe I'll be the only one cooking the cranberry sauce for Christmas dinner this year. =)
If that's the Pam you used, it has flour in it. If you used regular, non-floured Pam, Carol could be right, it looks like you didn't cook them long enough. You should keep trying, I'm sure you'll get it.
If you ever feel up to it again. Here is another simple recipe that goes into the oven. (I prefer the oven, sugar on the stove-top can take some internal sense of timing - or a candy thermometer and who owns that?) http://prudencepennywise.blogspot.com/2008/06/spicy-honey-pecans.html Give them another try.
Kerrie
Post a Comment