Monday, August 3, 2009

The Thoughts I Have When I Can't Sleep

We have had a good weekend so far, but I have tomorrow (actually today) off so we get one more day to get it together before heading back to work.

Saturday we spent the day running errands (dry cleaner, bank, post office, Sam's Club, grocery store, etc), doing laundry, getting the bills paid & working on the house cleaning. Mike ran errands with me and then settled in on the couch until he started dinner. By dinner time, I was exhausted...and ready to call it a night.

Mike ran to Sonic to get me a lemon-berry slush (thx Babe!!) & then to Blockbuster to pick up a movie. We have & pay for Netflix, but have had the same movies that have needed to be returned for over a month. Lame, I know.

I'm not sure where the hours and the days go...they seem to move so quickly I can't keep up.


Anywho...we spent Saturday night sipping Sonic beverages and watching "7 pounds". It was a good movie...one that makes you think...one that makes me not a fan of jelly fish. Yikes!!

On Sunday I woke up and headed downstairs to finish balancing our accounts...I have been a small amount off for about a month and finally found the time to find my error. I feel much better.

Mike mowed the lawn...and found the turtles. They escaped the pond area and burrowed themselves under the over-grown ficus tree in the backyard. I don't blame them...it's hotter than crap outside!!

After that, we got cleaned up and headed to see Kim. I don't usually ask Mike to come with me...for two reasons: 1) I don't want to be on a time schedule 2) I don't want to be responsible for his boredom when I don't want to leave. I really enjoy getting to pay all my attention to Kim when I am able to be there with her.

Kim had a great day today!! When we walked in Kim had just finished showering and putting make-up on...she looked fabulous!! I couldn't believe it!! On Friday when I left the hospital, her pain was not under control and she has looked better. My updates on Saturday were that she was having a good day and her pain was much more controlled. Today was even better!! She is simply amazing. Her attitude is super positive and her sense of humor is still present.



I was lying in bed thinking about Kim the other night (well, every night) and I thought to myself- I met Kim my sophomore year of high school in 3rd hour photography class...we sat across from each other. That year, her Uncle Mike died and Kim was out of school for some time dealing with that tragedy. When she came back to school, we began to bond. My mom was dying of colon cancer, so we had "tragedy" in common...I think that's how it all started...that was a long time ago, so I hope my time line is correct.

We didn't stay too close after HS, but talked enough to keep current. We lost touch after Kyle died because I shut just about everyone out of my life. I guess shutting down & not answering the door was my way of figuring out how to deal with his loss. I'm still not the same socially I was before the accident. Maybe it's the anxiety issues that came about during all of that..?? I'm sure anxiety meds are supposed to be on my to-do list, but maybe after we solve the "how do you get pregnant" mystery..??

Anywho, Kim and I reconnected a couple of years ago when I was talked in to starting a "myspace" page. We began talking more and more leading up to our 10 year HS reunion...and spoke for hours on the phone about life- then and now. It felt like we never stopped talking. About 2 weeks later she was diagnosed with stage IV colon cancer. That was one of the worst phone calls I have ever received.

I just thought it was ironic that we became friends as my mother suffered from this awful disease and were reunited as she learned she is suffering from the same disease...same diagnosis.

That's all...just thoughts of an over tired, rambling woman (I want very badly to say GIRL instead of WOMAN, but I am sitting here thinking GIRL doesn't exactly fit any more...sad) that can't sleep...again.

Back to Sunday...

We had hoped to get over to our soon-to-be neighborhood to see our friends Rebecca & Cody. She had a new baby girl on Wednesday!! I have been trying to meet the newest Miss Madison for the past 5 days...unsuccessfully. I have been carrying around my gift bag with her gift and another one for her older sister Tatum just in case the timing works out...ugh. Hopefully this coming week I will be able to meet her!! (Rebecca & I have been friends since we were 12 or 13. The only friend I've known longer is Rachel...and we've known each other long enough to remember our Barbie dolls having their own rock concerts on Sunday afternoons!!)

Our one other item on the to-do list for today was to try and have dinner with Mike's parents. We used to have dinner more often (or so it seems), but again- where do the hours and days go!? It was nice catching up with them...unfortunately for me, Mike veto'd Carrabba's and we ended up at Claim Jumper. Oh well...we have Carrabba's every other time we have dinner with his parents...so I guess once can't hurt!! :)

After dinner we made the drive southeast and talked about our ideas and plans for the new house the entire way. We are so excited to be done driving.

I guess this makes me old, but it was a great weekend...boring and full of chores, but one of the best in memory.

3 comments:

E said...

Well, parts of this blog entry had me in tears for some reason. It's amazing and beautiful in a way that I can't really explain, the manner in which you have connected with your friend Kim. I still think about that woman several times a day, every day. I am often pausing in my mind and telling her to KEEP FIGHTING for her life. I guess there is some part of me that hopes she is telepathically receiving that reminder or something.

This post also reminds me of how much I admire your tenacity, and how I can empathize with the INSOMNIA.

Oh, and congrats on getting the house you REALLY wanted. ;)

The Willeyes said...

Any weekend you get all that done, spend time with people you love and have treats is a good one right??? Sounds just perfect :)

Mrs. Buv said...

Thanks Erin...

She continues to fight, even though the cancer continues to fight back.

She's a rock...it amazes me!!

Randi