Tuesday, February 10, 2015

Turning Three

Blip's actual birthday fell on a Tuesday, so both Mike and I took the day off from work to celebrate with our boy.  We decided that the weather was perfect for a trip to the zoo.  Mike originally wanted to go up north to Berizona, but I asked him if we could save that for a weekend this summer when we NEED some time out of the heat.


Before we went to bed on Monday night I filled about 25 balloons and tossed them in Blip's room.  I heard him starting to wake up about 7:30 Tuesday morning, so I clicked on the monitor to see what his reaction would be.  He wiggled a bit and then stood up in bed and just looked at all the balloons for a few seconds before I heard him say, "Wow!"  Then he walked (in/on his bed) to the window, checked to see if it was daylight...and then made a beeline for his bedroom door.  I called to him that it was okay to get up (normally before 8am he does't get to get up...we're mean/tired like that).





Blip came running and jumped up in bed with us...one of my most favorite things when we are all home together in the morning.  We sang him happy birthday...and his response was, "For me!? It's my birthday...my February 10th one?"  We laughed and told him, "YES! It's your birthday!"  We snuggled for a bit and talked about going to the zoo after breakfast...and eventually headed downstairs to eat.



We made it to the zoo around 11am...the weather was perfect for the first hour or so.  Then it just got hot.  We made our way around to the Giraffe exhibit and let Blip feed a couple of them.  He LOVED it...and so did we.  We took the new tram ride around the new part of the zoo...so much better than walking when it's hot and I'm 35 weeks pregnant.  After the tram ride we stopped for a snack and then continued on to see the zebras, the rhino, all the big cats, etc.  Blip was excited to ride the carousel before we headed to Dillion's for lunch.


I read Blip the kid's menu...fully expecting him to want a hot dog or chicken strips...since he eats almost nothing.  Surprisingly he asked for a cheeseburger.  We shrugged our shoulders and ordered him a cheeseburger...which he actually ate!  We were shocked.  Maybe three will not only bring attitude and defiance, but better eating.



After we ate we fed the stingrays and then headed over to the playground to let Blip play.  We played for a bit and then it was time to go.  I was hot and exhausted, and we knew Blip needed a nap.


On the way home Blip asked if he could get pizza for dinner instead of chicken and rice.  We agreed, but said he HAD to take a nap!  He finally fell asleep a few minutes before we got home.  I was afraid he wouldn't stay asleep if we moved him, so I sat in the car with him for about an hour and a half while he napped...and my legs twitched.  It was pretty awful, but I didn't want his day ruined by grumpiness brought on by not enough sleep/rest.




The three of us headed to dinner at Peter Piper.  Mike was not thrilled with that choice, but I reminded him that it was Blip's birthday and that's where he wanted to go...so suck it up and deal with it for one night.  We shared a salad, some pizza, and played eight tokens worth of games...Blip selected two bracelets and a dum dum sucker for his prizes...and then we headed for home.  


Mike and I had an ice cream cake in the freezer ready to go...just waiting for Blip's newest favorite thing- candles.  We sang happy birthday to him one more time...and he blew out three candles.  He didn't eat much cake/ice cream, but I'm still glad we did it.



Richelle and her boys (including Derek...Blip's birthday buddy) came over to share the cake and left over Thrifty ice cream (from the party).  Blip was SOOOOO excited to see his "Chelle and my boys".  They ate their treats and then ran around crazy for a bit before it was time to head home...and Blip to bed.



It was a great day...long, but perfect.


My mom ALWAYS made our birthdays special, so it's something that I REALLY look forward to doing for my kids.  Nothing over the top, but that day should be special and all about the person whose day it is.  I hate that I'm getting older, but I still LOVE my birthday.  I want my kiddos to feel the same way- that their birthday is the best day of the year.


I love my little boy more than words could ever justify.  Becoming a mother was the best thing my life has ever known.  It's hard and frustrating and expensive, but I really do love being a mom more than anything else in this world.  Blip has brought more happiness to my life than I thought possible. I love my little family so very much.  I hope Blip always knows how much he means to me...and how much he is loved by so many.  But especially by his mama.



No comments: