I still despise them (the parties...not my sisters). A lot. They are expensive and stressful and so much work. In my head I decided before Blip got here that I would happily do a party every other year. On the opposite years we would find another way to celebrate. So for Blip's first birthday we had a huge party...Hungry Caterpillar themed. It turned out super cute, but was expensive and a lot of work. A lot. I worked for months on that party, but was happy to do so.
For Blip's second birthday we took a trip to Disneyland. It was awesome...and so exactly what I wanted when I said NO PARTY every year. We spent three days at the Happiest Place in Earth. It was perfect.
This year I knew Blip was due for a party, and being nearly nine months pregnant I knew Disneyland was not even an option. I also knew this year would be a great year to throw a party because he is old enough to "get it". He has been talking about his birthday for months...and talking about his birthday party for just as long. He learned his birthday is on February 10th...after that it's all he has talked about.
The petting zoo was a HUGE hit with everyone. It was a great idea. I'm so glad it was one of my "I told you so" moments. Totally worth it.
I needed a few other ideas to go with the petting zoo. I ended up deciding on a ring toss game and mining for gold. I think both turned out super cute, but the ring toss turned into more of a horse back riding game after Ms. Barbie let us borrow a small saddle.
One of my first ideas was to make stick horses for each of the kiddos. At first I was going to have each kiddo make their own, but after making one and trying to measure everything out I decided it would be just as much work to do that. I ended up making 27 horses over about three weeks.
I made a special one for Blip and kept it inside during the party. He didn't need one during the party (or to take home as the favor), so I thought it would stay safe and clean inside. It ended up leaving with someone other than Blip. I was disappointed to the point I was near tears (I'm almost nine months pregnant and spent countless HOURS making horses...and one special one for my birthday boy...and he didn't even get a stick horse of his own). Not sure why someone would come inside and think it's okay to take a horse from inside when there were two buckets full of horses to choose from outside. I made about four different styles...different hair, eyes, etc. The one I made for Blip had black hair and big eyes. Oh well. I guess I will never understand.
After the petting zoo left and the kids had mined all the gold, we decided to open presents and have cake. Nana made Blip the cutest horse cake and super cute camp fire cupcakes. Blip has been talking about blowing out his candles for the last week or two. He couldn't wait to have his cake with candles. He even helped sing "Happy Birthday" to himself. I loved it.
Blip opened so many gifts. He is so loved by so many. He truly did not need a gift from anyone, but we we are so appreciative of the generosity of our friends and family. I think I can do an entire new toy rotation bucket with his new loot. I will have to think about doing this...in my spare time. haha
My favorite part of the party: I asked my uber-artistic, favorite brother-in-law to make a cute decoration for the party. I truly meant something simple, but cute...that I'm not artistic enough to do, but he outdid himself and then some. He made Blip a jail...it was so perfect. Beyond what anything I imagined. Or expected.
I hope my little cowboy had a wonderful time celebrating his birthday with his friends. After everyone left the three of us talked about the party. Blip referred to the party as his "special day". I'm not sure where he heard that, or who from, but it really was a special day. It was fun to celebrate his birthday with our family and friends. We love this little guy beyond all measure...he sure is my favorite lil cowboy of al time.





















No comments:
Post a Comment