Saturday, November 23, 2013

Take A Bite

Blip has been spending his spare time in the afternoons at a local child care facility we were referred to.  Although we both think having a little more social time with kiddos his age is completely appropriate, neither of us like the fact he's going to the dreaded "daycare".  There is nothing wrong with daycare, but we've been so blessed to have had him one-on-one with people we love since I had to go back to work when Blip was 11 weeks old.

I was absolutely devastated when Miss Lori said she was unable to keep him any longer.  I cried for days…no joke.  I even had a mental break-down (one of a few) in front of her (totally by accident).  I was so embarrassed, but Blip was able to stay with her for another 4 weeks or so.  I cried even more when we left her house the very last time.  Mike dropped him off two days a week from July until Blip's birthday in February.  I whole heartedly trust(ed) Lori with my infant…I knew he was safe.  I never for worried for one second.  I always told people that if Mike and I died…and we left Blip with Lori (and her husband Scott) he would probably be better off!! I tease, but they are just good people.


Between my start back at work and July, my good friend Rebecca kept Blip those two afternoons a week.  I feel the same way about Rebecca as I do Lori.  Nothing else needs to even be said.  I never had to worry for even a second…I knew he was loved and cared for…he would never be hurt or left to cry wondering where his parents went.  She loved him as she would her own…I have no doubts.  We feel the same way about so many things…we should be sisters.



So in February…after Blip's 1st birthday, my friend Gisele started coming to the house Tuesday and Wednesday afternoons to watch the baby.  I didn't know Gisele THAT well, but I felt like I did since the first moment we met…does that make sense? She was easy to love, easy to trust…and she quickly fell in love with Blip.  We felt very comfortable around both her and her awesome hubby, Mike.  I was at peace with the entire situation before it even began.  I loved that she was willing to come to our house…it meant Blip could sleep/nap in his own bed…and I didn't have to worry about him destroying anyone else's house.  No carting the pack-n-play back and forth (and praying for a decent nap, or diaper bags, or anything else that kept me awake longer at night making sure I had ready for the next day. (Hopefully she didn't mind the chaos that is our house sometimes…yikes!!)

Gisele wasn't here too long before Mike and I knew we loved her and knew we loved her watching Blip.  We were so comfortable with her…it really felt like she was a long lost part of our family.  We quickly started getting excited about having "family" watch our son…and hopefully watching our new baby some day.  I was comfortable quickly, but Mike usually takes a bit longer.  Not this time.  He loved Gisele instantly.  Of course…what's not to love?  Gisele's sweet spirit filled our home those two afternoons a week enough to keep our spirits up the rest of the week.  Some weeks are harder than others, but coming home to Gisele and a happy baby boy at least two days a week is a happy homecoming.

Over these months of happiness surrounding our daycare issues, our sweet Nana Gisele has had some health issues.  Those issues came to some resolution over the last few weeks, but not before things got worse for her.  I won't go in to detail here, but Gisele was not able to care for Blip, so we had to find a back-up plan that was consistent…because asking for friends to help out was not consistent.  Leaving work early all the time was not the answer either.  And all of that was probably the most stressful thing I've ever tried to do.  And that includes any and all work related stressful things I've done in my career…worrying about my child definitely takes the cake.

In August, before Gisele's health was crazy, she went out of town for two weeks.  She gave me several months notice to find alternate care, and I did, but then some of that fell through because of sick kids, or other unforeseen issues that no one can control.  And to make matters far worse, I was working for the worst boss I've ever imagined during that time…so stress added to more stress.  Not good.  I decided to find a daycare facility that we could take Blip to when needed…just as a backup plan.  That way there was ALWAYS a foolproof backup plan, and a way that if/when Gisele needed a day off (for whatever reason) we would have a plan if nobody else was available to help out.  

I asked around and did a lot of looking at different facilities  but there are very few that worked for our situation.  One of the facilities that was recommended by at least two friends was exactly what we were looking for.  It was a smaller facility, they allowed us to be part-time, pay hourly or daily, and the location was what we were looking for.  

I forced Richelle to go with me to look at the place and to help me ask questions…I feel completely overwhelmed when it comes to these things.  I feel like I am overly critical because I don't want Blip to be there at all, so I need someone who is not me (and definitely not Mike) to help me (us) keep a clear head.  I liked the place okay, but I didn't know how to feel…or what to like/dislike.



I gave all the details to Mike, but it took him about two months to agree to go check the place out.  He tried to avoid the entire thing, but I knew we needed to get this plan buckled down.  I'm so thankful I took a Monday off…and remembered reminded him that he REALLY needed to go turn in the paperwork…just in case…because Blip has been there every week since.  It's been both good and bad, but necessary.  It's only two days a week, sometimes three, and only for about half a day.  It's really not a big deal, but, of course, it is to us…I'm excited for the next kid to help us chill out a bit.

The timing does get a little tricky because of the schedule Blip keeps.  He typically wakes up between 8-8:30am, so breakfast would be around 9ish…afternoon nap around 1pm.  Some days earlier…or later…doesn't really matter much.  That's joy of having him home…his needs dictate his schedule, but he definitely is a scheduled baby.  That's my fault.  At daycare…the majority of those kiddos get there super early (like 6ish), so lunch is about 10:30…and naps follow.  

Obviously that is not good timing for my child…who is finishing breakfast as they are having lunch.  On Mike's normal schedule he would typically drop Blip off after their nap time ends…so Blip would not get a nap.  That does NOT work for Blip…or his mom.  So on days we know he needs to be there (for whatever reason) Mike wakes him up a little earlier (instead of letting him wake up on his own), so breakfast is earlier, nap time is earlier, and lunch is over before Mike has to drop him off.  This way Blip gets what he needs, doesn't interrupt the entire room at daycare, and is still happy.  Daddy is just a little more sleepy.  



This past Tuesday I picked Blip up, but before heading to his room I stopped to talk to one of the main ladies.  You'd think I'd know her name, but I don't…and probably won't.  I'm happy to say I know Blip's afternoon teacher's name, but that's only because it's on the paper they give me with all of his info on it (diaper changes, food,  mood, etc).  

I wanted to talk to her about moving Blip up to the next classroom before his 2nd birthday.  He's been having a rough time adjusting, and I've been wondering if he's bored.  The playground equipment for the next age group is like the park equipment he's used to…and the stuff in his play area is for much younger kids.  He's happy when it's his turn for the swing, but then he's just bored…so he stand at the gate and cries.  I don't blame him.  I picked him up two weeks ago…there he was…standing at the gate crying…longing to be climbing and sliding with the kids a few months older than him. He loves to be outside, so I can only guess that he was just bored.



The lady agreed that we could try it, but then told me she needed to talk to me anyway…because Blip had just been bitten by another kid.  WHAT!?  She said it had JUST happened…and that it was pretty swollen.  She told me they had ice on it, but that he was upset.  Um yeah he's upset!!  I was proud of myself, but I kept my cool…I instantly thought of the two times Blip has bitten me out of excitement…and how mortified I would be if he bit someone else…anyone else…let alone another kid at the daycare.  And the pain…OUCH!!


I hurried back to his room and saw him sitting on the floor near a toy, but he was alone…not crying.  I opened the door…and he immediate made eye contact with me…and the tears started.  He grabbed his left arm, and I scooped him up.  His arm was swollen…it was hard to tell what the marks looked like through the swelling.  We quickly left after stopping to talk to his teacher…she informed me that Blip was crying at the gate (again) when a kid from the older class walked by, grabbed his arm through the gate, and chomped on my son's arm…totally unprovoked and without reason.  (Little kid needs put in his place…why would he walk past the gate and randomly decide to snack on my kid?)



When we got home I cleaned his arm, and it didn't seem to be bothering Blip at all, so I let it be and we went on with our evening together. I waited to clean it again until after bath time. The next day after work I was interested to see how his arm was doing…and it surprisingly looked a lot better already.  There were a few scabs were the skin broke (Blip must have tried to pull his arm away from Chompy McChomperson, so his teeth drug across his skin…causing the skin to break), and they were healing nicely.  The bruising was setting in, but even that was better than I expected.  



Wednesday was even better.  His arm was healing, no signs of infection AND Blip didn't cry AT ALL when Mike left or while they were outside.  Maybe he's finally getting the hang of all the new surroundings, new people, new rules, etc.  Maybe he realized I'm coming for him after a short time…he gets dropped off at about 1:30…and I try to be there just before 5pm.

We are so excited to get our Gisele back when she's healed and ready.  We all miss her so very much.  I miss our chats after work, and I know Mike misses the comfort he has with leaving Blip in Gisele's care…I miss that too.  Blip misses his Nana Gisele A LOT…he loves when she comes to play.  He especially loves when she brings her grandkids to play…he's so social you'd think daycare would be like heaven for him.


Four days after the bite it seems to healing like it should.  It seems like we have been more bothered by this injury than Blip has been.  I honestly don't think he even noticed it after the initial pain went away, but we sure have.  We've opt'd for keeping Blip in the same classroom at the daycare for now.  Since the biter is in the 2 year old classroom, and Blip had such a positive day on Wednesday...I thought we'd wait to see if this situation works itself out.

1 comment:

Kerrie said...

I hear ya on how hard it is to find 2 day care. Another LEO family we know, un-enrolled their son over the summer because the Mom is a teacher, and the next fall the 2 day option wasn't available for them. We love our place but no need to recommend it, since it is in the way East Valley by my work. If you do end up looking for a change, I found the most luck looking at places attached to / mainly to service hospitals since so many of the families there have similar unpredictable schedules.