Friday, April 26, 2013

Polyp

Mike was due for his every-other-year day of fun this Spring...his colonoscopy.  I called and scheduled his consultation with Dr. Amin, so Mike could get his colonoscopy over and done with...and so that Mike could talk to Dr. A about the horrid reflux he's been suffering with for months.

Dr. A and Mike discussed both things, and they decided to scope both ends at the same time to see what was goin' on.  Mike was not thrilled, but hey...better than dying, right?

Mike's appointment was for April 1st.  That happened to be a city holiday for us, so I was forced off and it was Mike's regular Monday "N" day. (That's what our days off our called.)  That worked out great since I wouldn't have to take any time off to take him.  I arranged with Regina to keep Blip again.  She kept him last year while I had mine...and it worked out perfect.  We live so far that she doesn't get to snuggle with my baby too often, and I want Blip to know her...so I will drop him off anytime for a play date with Aunt Regina.

Mike wasn't back much longer than he would have been for just the colonoscopy.  So about 30 minutes after I was asked to wait in the waiting room, a nurse came to get me.  I don't know why, but I was really nervous.  I'm never nervous for my own, and I have never been nervous for anyone else's routine colonoscopies...but I was anxious while Mike was back there.

I do know I was anxious about Mike having pre-cancerous polyps again.  And as soon as I was back with Mike...I asked the question.  I was right to be anxious. He had another one.  This time it was a "large" polyp...and according to Dr. A it was "definitely pre-cancerous".  


Talk about taking the wind out of your sails.  I know finding those little bastards and removing them is the whole point, but I don't want Mike to have them.  Any of them.  Ever.  I don't want to constantly wonder...and worry.  And be anxious...and hope it wasn't too fast growing or that it can't be removed during the colonoscopy. 

Dr. A removed one polyp.  It was 8mm...and it looked completely different from his last two polyps.  The polyps removed during Mike's last colonoscopy were small and looked a lot like a chicken pock.  Just a little red bump.  This year the polyp was much larger and looked like a bulb.


I am so thankful it's gone.  Out of there so it can't cause any torture down the road.  I just have to shake my head that Mike and I procreated...and plan to do it again.

Dr. A believes with the (very small) amount of knowledge we have about Mike's family history that his family may also have Lynch Syndrome (HNPCC).  Dr. A and I agreed (because Mike was still sleeping) that we would treat Mike as if he had tested positive for HNPCC.  He will continue to have colonoscopies ever other year unless he needs to have one every year at some point.

My family operates under the assumption we have HNPCC, too.  We have quite a bit more family history to go off of, so that's just how we operate.  It's the safest way to do it.  We have done so since my mom died.  

Here's the crappy part.  If you have HNPCC, you have a 60-80% higher chance of getting colon cancer.  The average person has a 3-4% chance.  So what percentage do our children get?  All Dr. A said was, "Much higher."  Dang it.  We laughed about Dr. A being around when Blip is old enough...it's funny, but really...it's not.  I don't want my kids to have to do this.  Hopefully there will be some new magical way of testing by that point.

photo: http://www2.mdanderson.org/app/pe/index.cfm?pageName=opendoc&docid=2133

Mike's upper GI revealed a Hiatal Hernia.  Dr. A said they were common and would most likely not require surgery.  He prescribed Mike some meds to help with the discomfort and to help Mike's ulcerated esophagitis.  Dr. A said that what Mike had going on should be causing him quite a bit of pain, so that was his first item on the list of things to take care of.  Dr. A wants to see Mike back in a few months to go over everything and to see how Mike has heeled with the meds.  He will more than likely be on meds to control this indefinitely.

We left the office and went to pick up our sweet baby boy.  He had fun playing with Regina...he got to help her clean the house.  I'm sure he was just happy for the change of scenery, and for her hugs and kisses.  I'm so thankful for my supportive and always helpful family.

This isn't something we worry every. single. day. about, but it is something we MUST think about.  We must deal with this.  We must remain proactive.  We must continue to reach out to others to make sure people are educated about this awful disease.  I wish this wasn't something we had to advocate for, but this is so close to our hearts.  It's something we are passionate about.  It's something we will never blow off.  Just look at the statistics...anyone not willing to do what's necessary when they KNOW they have family history will eventually pay the price.  And paying with my life is not something I'm willing to do.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I am glad you are passionate about education of colon cancer and screening. This is something you never know about. I am the one who has always watched my diet, exercised regularly, just tried to do the right things. I go in for my first colonoscopy expecting good results and leave with the knowledge that a polyp had been discovered and removed. To my surprise, my husband who hasn't been so diligent about diet, exercise, etc., received a clean bill of health. He was told to return in 10 years; me, 3-5. As I said, you just never know. And, I, too, plan to be safe and not pay the price.