Mike took Friday off, and we planned to leave town first thing on Friday morning. By midnight on Thursday I was so tired my eyes hurt. My body was exhausted from a long week with too little sleep, so I decided I needed to go to bed instead of finishing packing. I got up about 8am to finish, but we still didn't get out the door until almost noon. Ugh. We wanted to be there just after lunch, but now we'd be stuck in LA traffic. It totally sucked, but we didn't let it ruin our trip. Blip slept in the car until about Blythe, then he watched a movie on the iPad. He was great in the car until about the last 45 minutes or so. He had a dirty diaper…and we were stuck in traffic. We think he was hungry too, so I made him a bottle in hopes it would hold him off for a little longer.
We finally made it to the hotel, got checked in, and unloaded ALL of our stuff. Traveling with me usually means a few more items than normal, but traveling with a baby means WAY more stuff than ever imagined. Between the pack and play, the diapers, bottles, formula, wipes, clothes, extra clothes, winter clothes, a few toys, a few books, the doorway jumper, blankies, Henry…well…you get the idea.
By the time we were settled, Blip was done. We wanted to go out to a nice dinner, but taking Blip at that point would have been awful. For everyone. We decided Mike would head out to find food and a few forgotten items from Target while I got us unpacked, and fed and bathed Blip. When Mike got back, Blip was ready to go to bed. We put him down in the living room area and then had a pizza picnic on the bed in the bedroom. It was perfect.
We woke up, got ready, and then headed down to breakfast. After we ate, we finally headed to Disneyland. When we arrived…I knew it was going to be super busy just by the level we had to park on. I was already irritated we canceled our February trip, but the amount of people at both parks sealed the deal on my irritation. We waited in line to board the tram, and then to buy tickets…and then to enter the park. It looked like there were longer lines to get into California Adventure, but we didn't buy park hopper tickets, so it didn't matter to us. We were wishing more people were in those lines. It didn't affect our moods…we were happy to be there with our little family. I was so super excited to be there with my own son.
We got the traditional (and necessary) picture just inside the gate. Once we went through the tunnel we could see how many people were really there. And holy crap…there were a lot of people there. February is one of the slowest months at Disneyland. I can't believe a few days can change all of that. It was a Saturday, so I'm sure that didn't help our cause at all. A few of the characters were out signing autographs in the main square. The first one we saw was Pluto. Blip's entire body was smiling…and bouncing. He was excited. There were long lines for autographs and pictures, so we were just showing the baby the characters. We weren't even sure what he would think of them. We also saw Goofy, Minnie, and finally Mickey Mouse. Mickey is his favorite. He watches Mickey Mouse Club House occasionally, so that's how he knows those characters. Mickey was headed away when we got to him, so we barely got a glimpse, but Blip definitely knew who Mickey was...and Pluto. He likes Pluto.
We slowly made our way down Main Street…Blip was just taking it all in. He had his serious face on most of the time, but occasionally he would see something that would make his beautiful blue eyes smile. We stopped at the Silhouette shop to have Blip's done. I had one made while I was pregnant, so I knew I wanted one made when I brought Blip. The lady who made it for me was also the lady who made Blip's. She's been doing that job for something like 40 years. I can't draw a person…this woman can look at someone and cut out their face with tiny scissors…and she does it perfectly. It's amazing…and only $9. It's probably one of the coolest things at DL…and one of the cheapest, too.
The next item on the to-do list was find some rides. I wanted to take Blip on Peter Pan, but the line was ridiculously long…and almost all of the waiting was in the sun. And it was sunny and HOT. We were sweating it was so hot. I voted against Peter Pan, and we opt'd for the carousel. The line wasn't too bad, and it was worth the wait. I was excited to see how Blip liked it, and we weren't disappointed. He liked the horses before the music started, so when we started to move…he loved it. And I did too. The perfect first ride at Disneyland.
While we waited in line for the carousel, Blip could see the Dumbo ride. He watched it the entire time we were in line. We agreed to take him on that next. I wanted to stay on the ground to take pictures, so Mike and Blip got in line. After about 30 minutes of waiting, both of my boys were done. Blip was in need of lunch and a nap. Mike got out of line because they weren't even half-way.
We started making our way back to the car, but stopped for bathroom breaks and a diaper change…and a quick stop at the wishing well. We took a few pictures to complete my wish…and then Mike handed some quarters to Blip.
We made another wish together…pretty much the same wish all over again for me, and I'm pretty sure Blip is wishing he could have a brother. Mike and I hope our new wish comes true soon, but we'll have to wait and see.
We also took a couple pictures at the castle. Too bad Blip was already done...it was time for napping, not photo shoots. He's such a good baby. He can be done, and still be so sweet. Until he decides to throw himself backwards...his new thing. We avoided that fun-filled good time the entire time we were at Disneyland. Whew.
Then it was the tram (which was one of Blip's favorite things of the entire weekend), parking garage, carseat, sleeping baby. Blip was asleep before we backed out, and he slept until we arrived at the hotel and got him out. We thought he might stay asleep, but in such a new place with new sounds and smells…he was wide awake. We all ate lunch and played instead of napping.
About 4:30 or 5pm we decided we should head back to the park. We made in just in time for the parade. We found a curb spot and parked ourselves there for about 45 minutes until it started. And boy was it worth it!!
The other floats, music, and dancing and fun people were also a hit with the boy. He bounced on Mike's leg the entire time we sat on the curb…like he was in a bouncer, but nope…just Blip's energy. Mike said the baby's heart was racing, but he wasn't slowing down at all.
The first thing we saw was a row of drummers in brightly colored clothing. He loved the drumming…and then came Pluto. Blip was so excited…it was awesome. Then Goofy, and finally Minnie and Mickey Mouse. Minnie even waved to Blip and blew him kisses. Blip seemed smitten with her.
The other floats, music, and dancing and fun people were also a hit with the boy. He bounced on Mike's leg the entire time we sat on the curb…like he was in a bouncer, but nope…just Blip's energy. Mike said the baby's heart was racing, but he wasn't slowing down at all.
And, of course, he clapped at the end. (Man...I love this kid!)
Our stomachs were growling by the time meeting Mickey was over, so we headed to the Plaza Inn for dinner. There was short wait, so Mike walked over and bought his boy a balloon. Every time we walked past someone with a balloon Blip tried to grab it, so we thought he would love to have one of his own.
For dinner Blip and I shared chicken and pasta. I knew Blip would eat the chicken, but he actually at a lot of the pasta noodles too…which was lucky because for $20 I got three bites of chicken in the entire meal. By "bites" I mean I didn't have to cut them for Blip to eat ALL the chicken on our plate in three bites. One bite each. I should have complained, but I decided it wasn't worth it. He also shared some of Mike's fried chicken, mashed potatoes and green beans. He ate like his normal self…which is great.
We left the restaurant and thought it would be smart to find a good spot for fireworks. There was a lady on a bench facing the castle. She had a stroller in front of her…and she was sitting in the middle of the bench. She was clearly saving seats, which is fine with us, but I thought I would ask if Mike could sit down and rest his back until her family got there. She was so nice, and was happy to let Mike sit. She had a little girl just older than Cody…and then MUCH older kids, too.
When her family arrived, she said they had enough room for us to keep a seat on the bench. Mike and I were so thankful…and shared our seat back and forth. About 10 minutes before fireworks were scheduled to start the baby NEEDED a diaper change. Oh man…I was a little frantic at first. I wasn't sure with the crowds and the closed areas/designated walking areas I would make it in time, but knew he could not smell that bad and any of us enjoy the show.
When her family arrived, she said they had enough room for us to keep a seat on the bench. Mike and I were so thankful…and shared our seat back and forth. About 10 minutes before fireworks were scheduled to start the baby NEEDED a diaper change. Oh man…I was a little frantic at first. I wasn't sure with the crowds and the closed areas/designated walking areas I would make it in time, but knew he could not smell that bad and any of us enjoy the show.
I quickly headed off to find a place. I ran into a DL employee…I asked him where the closest place to change a diaper was. He reminded me about a place I had only read about. It's a specific room for parents and babies…I think it's called the Baby Care Center. It's at the end of Main Street…and has several changing tables, high chairs, teeny tiny toilets, quiet places to nurse or pump, or just a calm place to take your baby away from the craziness that can be DL. It was super close to where we were sitting, and they weren't busy when I got there. Other parents were changing their kiddos into jammies…which would have been smart of me to do, but maybe next time. I changed Blip's diaper and got back to our bench just in time. The show started a few minutes later.
The fireworks at Disneyland are unlike any other fireworks. Disney does everything just right. Nothing is ever half done. Maybe that's why I love Disney so much? I mean…if you're going to do it, you might as well DO it. Anyway…I have wanted to share those amazing fireworks with my own little family for longer than I can remember. I absolutely love fireworks, so I can't wait for my own kids to love them with me.
I remember my own mother loving fireworks…I don't know that I loved them enough with her while she was here. I may have been too teenager-ish to show my true excitement. I miss all those things…and wish so much I could go back and share the little things with her one more time. The ooh's and ah's at Christmas lights, fireworks, and even the love she showed for each holiday…especially our birthdays. I know how much I loved hearing about the night I was born every year on my birthday at dinner. I always wondered how she remember all those little details, but then I had Blip. There some things you just don't forget.
I left his overalls off after changing his diaper just before leaving the parking garage...he likes to take his socks off in the car now. When I turned around to check on him...the top picture is what I saw from the front seat. The bottom picture is what I got when I opened the backdoor. He was OUT.
Although it was a quick trip, the weekend was truly magical. I loved sharing my favorite place with my little family. I can't wait to go back with them again and again. I can't wait to go on the big rides with him. I am excited to see what he loves most as he grows.
We made a quick stop off at the park to let Blip have some of his favorite free time...the weather is so nice and we love spending time at the park. Mostly I love to hear the happiness that comes from my son when we're there...
Mike left to pick up my birthday dinner while I was getting the baby to bed. By the time he got back with food, the baby was asleep, I had us both completely unpacked, the laundry started, and most of Blip's crap put away. Everything except his clothes, so that makes tomorrow better already. Mike surprised me with Carrabba's (my fave!), and we watched Argo. Can't remember the last time we sat on the couch and watched a movie. We need to do this more often.















2 comments:
What a wonderful trip and those photos of Blip laughing at the parade and of you watching fireworks with him are priceless. What a treasure!
Happy Birthday!
i LOVED looking at all the pictures! especially the ones of cody watching the parade - seriously - could he get any happier?! the pics of you with tears rolling down your face remind me of the magic i got to experience with each of my kids on their first time to dland - its such a special moment, i loved seeing it on your face.
Post a Comment