Saturday, June 12, 2010

Museums, Navy Pier, Pizza & More...

Friday:

I woke up not feeling quite right. I shrugged it off and headed out. We hopped in a cab and headed for the Shedd Aquarium. We enjoyed our time at the aquarium...mostly watching Sydney squirm at the sight of sting rays...laughing at the not-quite-sea-world dolphin show...and amazed at the size of the snake we happened across.
After the Shedd, we walked over to the Field Museum to meet Sue. We all wish Jake was with for a brief moment...it passed quickly, but we all knew how much he would LOVE Sue.
By the time we were walking through the Field museum, I knew I was not well. I did not want to be a party pooper or ruin anyone's trip, so I tried to shut-up and walk. I know I was a grouch...but I honestly wanted to hail a cab and head to urgent care.
We walked through several exhibits and then took a water taxi to Navy Pier. From Navy Pier we took an architectural river tour. It was my second time doing this, but this tour was better than the first. It's fun to learn about such a fun city...Phoenix just doesn't compare.
While on the tour, it down-poured for about 5 minutes and then it was blistering hot...we all hadn't had enough to drink, but add that to my already failing health...and you have a disaster.
After the river tour, we decided the hotel wasn't that far, so we walked. Bad idea. It was A LOT further that we thought. We walked and walked...then we stopped and got water to take with us to the room at a nearby 7-11. Once back at the hotel, I plopped on the bed and slept for about an hour before we headed out to do some shopping and get dinner.
I figured I'd be fine once I got some food in me...we stopped at Coach and browsed the sales a bit. I knew I wasn't well when I couldn't bring myself to buy Coach flip flops on sale for $29. After coach, we walked to my VERY favorite store- Marshall's. We walked in and I found the nearest bench to rest on. I sat for several minutes figuring out how to explain to a cab driver how to get to a hotel I didn't know the address of...that was exactly 4 blocks east of where we were...but the opposite direction the one-way street we were on allowed. I couldn't figure out how...so I finally decided to walk back.

The thought of walking four blocks was nearly unbearable, but I didn't want to make anyone else leave the fun for me. I called Mike and talked to him while I walked back to the hotel...I made it to the room...we said our goodbyes...hung-up...and I attempted to get into the room. The stupid room key-card would not work...and I could feel the tears coming.
Defeated, I went downstairs to get a working key-card. I handed the clerk my card and he looked at it...kinda confused he said, "Uh...this isn't our hotels?" I looked at it and it said "Seattle Sheraton" on it. I sighed...and located the Marriott card in my purse and headed back upstairs.

I made it into the room, took a shower and fell asleep. This was all around 6pm...I woke up the next morning at about 10:30am. I was exhausted. Even after all of that sleep...I still did not feel well, but I did NOT want to be sick on our girls' trip!
Saturday:

We headed out to the John Hancock Center and had breakfast a fabulous Italian bakery (L'Appetito) I had eaten out before. It was wonderful...even though my stomach was not. We ate some pastries (good for the belly, right?) and the headed upstairs to the observation deck. It was a bit cloudy, so the visibility wasn't quite what we hoped, but it was still fun.
We went back down to the street level and shopped for many hours...Coach, Bloomingdale's, Tiffany's, American Girl Store, H & M, etc...
For dinner we headed to one of my favorite places- Chicago Pizza & Oven Grinders. I've been there each time I have been to Chicago and just LOVE the food. We all enjoyed the food (except for Sydney) and then headed to Navy Pier for the fireworks. After that it was bedtime.

2 comments:

Kerrie said...

I hope you are feeling better!
Sean and I love Chicago too. However I totally hear you on thinking the hotel is close and you end up walking forever. Something about the city must provide an optical illusion.

Kerrie

Carol said...

man i had no idea you were sick on your trip - that freaking sucks hard!! i got nervous for you when you had a seattle key card with you - i thought robyn had given you the wrong key and you were going to have to walk back to get the right one. you guys sure did do a lot!