Blip had a big party last year, so I had zero intention of having another party this year. I honestly hoped we would take Blip to Disneyland for his fourth birthday, but we just couldn't swing it this year. Having two kids in daycare is expensive...plus formula, diapers, furlough days, loss of holiday pay, etc. Disneyland just wasn't in the cards at the moment. What was worse is that Blip even asked Mike if we could go to Disneyland for his birthday.
He talked about it the entire month of January. It was hard to tell him we had to pick something else to do.
He also talked about having a birthday party with all of his friends for his "Captain America" birthday...so I had to be the one to tell him we weren't having a party this year. Although it was my choice to only have a party every other year...it was a lot harder than I expected to tell Blip we weren't having one. Ugh. In the end I was glad I stuck to my guns, but it sucked.
A few weeks ago I asked Blip what he wanted to do for his birthday with us. Of course he started with going to Disneyland. I told him to pick something else, so he said he wanted to go to the zoo. Mike and I decided it would be fun to drive up to Camp Verde and go to Out of Africa. Neither of us had been there, so we thought it would be a fun day trip. And it was.
We woke up and had breakfast- homemade waffles, eggs, and bacon. I cleaned up the kitchen and we got ready to go. We didn't get there until about 12:30pm...just in time for the Tiger Splash show. After watching the show, Blip was able to feed the tigers. We grabbed cheeseburgers for lunch and then stayed put to watch the Giant Snake Show. Blip was selected to participate, but after the show he went with Mike to touch the large Python. And then I took him over to get a picture of us holding the snake...he was slithering all around us while we took the picture. Blip was very brave! We had a good time doing that together.
We wandered around and looked at more animals, watch them feed the predators, and headed back towards the front of the park. We walked too slowly and missed the tram for a tour of the other part of the park, but since we I was just getting over being sick, Sister was still covered in her rash and getting over being sick...we decided it was a good time to go. It was really warm (79*) in the sun, too.
For his birthday Dave, Amy, Trevor, and Avery gave Blip a gift certificate to buy something in the gift shop. Before we loaded in the car to head to Papa's house for dinner we let him pick out something. He chose a stuffed snake. Perfect.
I asked Blip a few days earlier what he wanted for his birthday dinner. He wanted McDonald's. A cheeseburger from McDonald's. Ugh. Really? We tried to think of some place good to talk him into, but Nana said we should just all get happy meals. If that's what he wants for his birthday dinner, he should have it. As much I did not want McDonald's, I agreed that was the right thing to do. So we sent Mike and Grandpa to McDonald's to get us all Happy Meals...and that's what we had for dinner. It turned out to be perfectly fine...although that's not what I will be choosing for my birthday dinner.
Nana made Blip's special cake that he asked for- a chocolate Captain America cake with whip cream. Nana created a large Captain America shield out of chocolate cake and even made the white part of the shield out of whip cream. It was awesome. He LOVED it.
We opened gifts before heading home. Mike and I got Blip a Baymax flying character thingy and a Captain American bike helmet. I got him a couple other little things too. Grandpa and Grandma got him some money to go to Toys R Us and pick something out. Aunt Chelle and the boys got him some books, some new shoes, and some pieces for his Little People Disneyland. Aunt Robyn gave him some fun super hero clothes for next winter and some puzzles. Nana is going to take Blip to a play (Alexander and the Terrible Horrible No Good Very Bad Day) in a few weeks. I'm sure my brain is forgetting something, but he was spoiled.
I can't believe my baby boy is four. He's getting so big, so smart, and he's just fun to be around (most of the time). He is doing great in preschool, loves his friends, loves to be outside, ride his bike or scooter, play with sidewalk chalk, and he loves to read. He loves his monster trucks, and he, of course, loves to watch his shows.
Blip was the answer to my prayers. He made me a mother...and he is my little miracle. I hope he always knows how much I love him...and that he was longed for, prayed for, and wanted.

No comments:
Post a Comment