Sunday, February 7, 2010

Quick Trip

Several months ago we found out Grammy (my mother's mother) had colon cancer. I was never given specifics...and I'm not sure my dad was told any specifics either...only that she was having surgery to remove the tumors in her colon. We heard random updates that she was doing better/fine (recovering...) and that was that...until I got a phone call from my cousin Jenni.

Jenni let me know the cancer had spread to other organs and she wasn't well. She had very minimal information, but nobody else had a chance to call and let us know. I was thankful for the information. As soon as we hung up, I called my dad and asked if he had heard anything. I knew the answer was no...he would have let each of us know if there had any updates.

Long story short, I thought we should make the drive to St. George for a quick visit with Grammy. So off we drove...Richelle, Regina, Raelynn & Carlys...with Ryan's family joining us as well.

We left Friday afternoon and got to Vegas around dinner time. Ryan's family met us in Vegas for dinner before they continued on to St. George for the night. Our car headed to the outlet mall and then to the Bellagio...then to our hotel. We of course made our *normal* Coach Factory Store visit...and walked around a bit. We took Carlys to see the beauty of the Bellagio flower gardens and then we stood outside near the fountain to see the water show and hear the beautiful music.

Before heading to our hotel, we stopped off for Gelato...even Raelynn agreed to walk all the way through the Bellagio casino and down through the mall area to get our treat. I LOVE Gelato...Richelle and I both got blackberry cheesecake. Yum!!



We thought we could get by with one hotel room...we just needed a roll-away bed for Raelynn. That idea would have worked perfectly...if the hotel actually had roll-away beds. We found a Walmart in area I would compare to South Phoenix...and Carlys was inside FOREVER. We were honestly at a place I wouldn't hang out without back-up. It was a LONG 30 minutes...yes, she was inside for THIRTY minutes!! We needed some sort of air mattress for Raelynn...I wish I would have taken pictures of what she bought!! It worked perfectly, but it was hilarious. A child-sized pink Disney Princess air mattress!! It was a long as Raelynn, but I'm not sure if it was as wide. Like I said, it ended up being perfect, but she was NOT happy with it the first night. Too funny.



After the Walmart parking-lot experience, we headed to the hotel. We were all exhausted on the ride back to the hotel...Raelynn even told us "Don't talk to me...it's past my bedtime."

Saturday morning we woke up and headed for St. George. I was the lucky driver and it dumped rain nearly the entire way. I kept thinking we would outrun the storm, but we didn't. We were slightly confused on the time changes from Arizona to Nevada to Utah...so we were a bit later than expected when we finally arrived at my cousin Becca's house.

We spent the afternoon catching up and looking at old family pictures. A year or two ago I asked my Grammy if she had any pictures of my mother when she was younger. My Uncle Alan has worked very hard scanning in hundreds of family pictures dating all the way back to the 30's. It was so fun to see pictures of my mom and her family. It was also fun to see pictures of my Uncle David and Aunt Sandy. We spent soooo much time at their house growing up. I love them so much and all of their children too. We were once so close...it makes me sad it has been so long since those fun filled Summer days.


Uncle David and Aunt Sandy have both passed away. I thought losing my mother was hard, but the thought of losing both my parents...ugh. It breaks my heart.


It was so great to see that side of the family...it's been years. Grammy came for the wedding, but before that I hadn't seen her in 3-4 years. I think the last time I saw my cousins was at Jenni's wedding 10 years ago...or maybe Kyle's funeral (nearing the decade mark)...but I don't remember. I hope we continue to have contact with them...and not just for funerals.



I have so much to say about the whole cancer issue, but I don' think this is the right forum for it. Maybe when it's not so fresh I will be able to say something without anger about certain things... (p.s. raw food diets don't cure colon cancer. ...I'm just sayin')


We left Becca's and headed back to Vegas. We stopped for dinner in St. George with Ryan's family. I love those little girls!! I wish they lived closer...I hate not being a part if their everday life!! We didn't get back to Vegas until late and we were all exhausted (again). I didn't sleep well with so much on my mind, but felt rested when I was the first one up and ready. After brunch at Mimi's, we headed for home.

I am so thankful for my family. I am truly blessed to have had two loving parents that raised us to be good people, hard workers, etc. We are so lucky to have Carlys in our family...she adds so much. There aren't words. I love her so much and truly feel like I was lucky enough to be raised by the most wonderful woman in the world and now I get to have an equally wonderful woman help guide me through these years of my life. I don't know what we'd do without her sweet spirit in our everyday lives.

5 comments:

It's My Life said...

Ditto on my love for my mama!!!

ClanRodgersAZ said...

If it weren’t for you girls I would have dumped your Dad and Ryan a long time ago. All joking aside you can’t imagine how you all have contributed to a wonderful life for me. Even the bad is good. Thank you for your kind words. Love you lots. Mom

THE FLEMING FAMILY!!! said...

Thanks for the sweet thought...I just got a reminder of how important my mom/my family is to me... I really needed that... sometimes I can be a real jerk..but after reading your sweet words I need to really remember what's most important...thanks

Carol said...

I am so glad you guys got to make this trip! and ditto to Carlys :)

The Willeyes said...

Family means everything...you are so lucky to be close to your family. I don't what I would do without my siblings and parents. Thanks for sharing your thoughts :) Glad you had a fun trip...and that little sweetheart has the cutest smile ever!